rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I'm about to do some front end surgery on mine, and while I'm in there I'm going to replace the front brake pads. Looking on Island 4x4, they appear to have a wide variety of pads for a fairly narrow range of prices, going from 13 quid for Britpart (probably not, thanks) up to £36.50 for EBC Green Stuff. Somewhere in the middle are the 17 quid Delphi pads I've always used (and can't really complain about), 21 quid EBC Ultimax ones and 30 quid Jurid ones (OEM for BMW according to my BMW-owning mate).

Anyone used any of them, particularly the EBC ones? Am I going to feel I got my 20 quid's worth fitting Green Stuff rather than Delphi?

EBC Ultimax- squealy and dusty. EBC Green stuff- dusty and require a bit of warming up. (Both on my Golf VR6 by the way, so may not be a direct comparison with a P38!)
I find Mintex really good. Have them on both P38s now. Nice pedal feel, not got them to fade yet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFP500150-Land-Rover-Discovery-2-TD5-Range-Rover-P38-MINTEX-Front-Brake-Pads/291511390777?

I've used Jurid (on a BMW) and found them pretty good. I've got EBC yellowstuff on my A4 and dont rate them at all.

Ferodo Premier are decent too.

i've also at one point used the cheapest Apex pads in my A4 and they were also perfectly fine. But the cheap stuff can be hit or miss.

I've got EBC Ultimax on mine... won't be using them again. Squeaky on the rears sometimes, even 5 years on, and took ages to bed in.

They do seem to last pretty well.. got 25k on them and still plenty of meat... I'd rather change them more often though and have something that is a bit of a softer pad and that doesn't squeal on the rears.

Place I went to about them (thought it was disc runout) said that the pads were more race spec ones and a pretty hard compound, and more suited for sports car than 4x4.

I'm planning on going mintex when I change mine next

I've put Mintex pads on every car I've owned (including this one) and never been unhappy with them.

Fairly inexpensive and do a good job.

I've used both Apex and Delphi here and no complaints, even when stopping with a 4 tonne trailer on the back with no working over-run brakes.

Greenstuff are excellent on a p38. Not squeaky and great from cold with no fade so far.
They are a different spec for 4x4 than the ones for lighter cars.
Are they worth the premium? No idea. You'd need proper testing to be sure but I don't regret buying them (And the matching discs) one bit.