rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My current 1995 4.0 having been written off on the street in front of my house by a young lad who'd had a few too many, I'm in the market for another P38. I'd prefer a 4.6 on LPG. I'm going to look at one tomorrow, but thought I should check and see if anybody on here has one they'd like to part with.

Haha, well there are definitely some guys on here who have spares - whether you can persuade them to sell or not... perhaps you should be asking their wives? :)

(sorry to hear about your misfortune, I hope the insurance saw you right)

I was pleasantly surprised when they offered me 2300 (£1863 after I retained the car) for a very manky, cosmetically challenged base model 1995 4.0. Though the Turner gas-flowed cylinder heads, oversize BFGs and other special bits probably helped with the valuation.

One for Mr Hallworth I think ;-)

https://rangerovers.pub/topic/503-2002-vogue-se-restoration-thread?page=6.0#pid14062

Looks like the photobucket images have been plunked, annoyingly. It's going to need a bit of work but it's tidy enough, straight enough and goes nicely.

I think I've found one that I like the look of.

Going to give us a link or a hint about what you've found?

Very early 4.6 HSE - sounds as if it has been well looked after.

Now that I've got my grubby paws on it, it's this one.

I actually started off looking for a later one with the Thor engine, but after viewing a very ropey 1999 HSE, I realized that I was better off going with a GEMs as that's what my wrecked one is, and parts interchange would be better. Plus, this one seems to have been cared for, and I really like the colour (Montpelier I believe, and only available for the first couple of years).

Looks pretty good, got the faded grey plastic grille option too......

Yes, though it looks like it didn't come with the saggy headliner option.

That's good, one less thing you'll need to do to it. I took all of the plastic trims off mine, grille and all the side rubbing strips and sprayed them with black bumper paint. Gives a sort of satin finish and tidies the appearance nicely. Preferable to spending hours with the back to black stuff that fades back to grey within a couple of weeks. The early cars had a few weaker points that were corrected from '97 onwards, the most serious being the fusebox so check that for signs of overheating. Dash illumination is easy enough to sort out too. Otherwise it looks like you've got yourself a bargain.

Looking good!
I'd forgotten how small normal batteries look compared with the yuasa monster :)

Nice.

Looked one that colour years ago, but it was just out of reach price-wise. Damn shame, I loved it.

Hah, yours and my new one must have been pretty close together on the assembly line - mine's got a registration date of 31st December 1994.

If you don't have it, get the printout from Land Rover on it. As well as giving you all the useful information like radio code and EKA code, it'll give you the actual build date.

Can I get that done at any Land Rover dealership or is there a dedicated department within the company to contact?

If you go into any LR main dealer with the V5 and driving licence to prove it is yours and you are you (so you'll probably have to wait until you have the V5 in your name), they can connect to the Land Rover computer system and print it out. Free of charge too (probably the only thing you will ever get out of LR free of charge)

mrabody wrote:

Hah, yours and my new one must have been pretty close together on the assembly line - mine's got a registration date of 31st December 1994.

Build date of mine is 31 January 1995, exported straight to Land Rover France.

Annnnnnd... it's already thrown it's toys out of the pram, having decided to raise an EAS fault and drop down onto the bump stops on the way home. And of course my Lynx Diagnostics is refusing to connect to it. And it's booked in for an MOT tomorrow.

Either a obd problem, or connectors in the footwell.
If you search there is a way to jump the connectors,,
was your lynx connecting before ?