rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi All,
Joined the P38 world last week with a 2000 (2001MY) DHSE in drug dealer spec (Black, tinted windows, alloys). Mates who work on P38's told me not to as I would get there faster by hopping on one leg blindfolded :-D and yes it is slow. But I have my lightly tuned 4.6V8 90 for fun.

Chris_no10 mentioned you on the other RR forum.

I teach 4x4 driving and have done so for 20 years. I did originally qualify as an electronics engineer with an M.Eng. but not worked a day as one...

Cheers

Welcome. I nearly contacted you over there by PM under my assumed name (I got banned for life under this one and never did get an explanation why) but it was me that gave you the info on the different types of Alpine stereo. I've only ever owned V8s and had heard all the stories about how gutless the diesels are. Having now worked on one (but not the engine, I don't touch diesel engines) and driven it, they are different. They rev much higher before changing up and while they can keep up with the flow of traffic, they'll never win any drag races. Once up to cruising speed, it's still a P38 with all the nicer bits.

A background in electronics helps with a P38 but the ability to diagnose things in a logical way is just as important.

Me, tell anyone about here, that’s not allowed, lmao.

Welcome mate,

Thanks for the welcome (and help).
Hopefully I can keep it logical but with Land Rovers you can never tell.
I have a megasquirt-2 in my 90 4.6 running GEMS manifolds & ignition coils on an ACR top-hat linered block. The 90 is back now with a good chassis but she won't run slow - bad idle- goes rather well at other times... changing down to 3rd at 90mph recently. We did a gps based 0-60 many years ago and clocked 7.2sec, 0-30 in 2.8 can be quite fun. Acceleration over 45 was clearly slowing on the graph :-)

I was not expecting the dis-esal to be quick or even moderate but it is faster than an L-series Freelander or a tdi Disco. It is way faster than the 300tdio auto my Dad had once! But then I think snails were faster than that when it was cold. BMW diesels TD4 FL and P38 peak torque is about 2500 so it has to rev to that for acceleration. As you say once up to speed they are fine. I still can't believe the reported 42.5mpg on the way back from Western-Super-Mare down here to Cornwall via M5/A30 and then back roads uphill/down dale. I may have to get a Ronbox or get it chipped but that is down the line as the piggy-bank is empty after purchase and new tyres.

I do have a Hawkeye Total so some diagnostics ability. Money no object would have been Nanocom Evo and Faultmate MSV as I need to be able to talk to late D1, TD5 D2, Freelander 1 & 2 as well as the P38 and it was a choice between a D2 and a RR with head saying D2 and heart RR. So now I have a Classic (series 1 88 diesel), competition (90) and comfort (P38) :D

Cheers guys

There used to be a guy around here with a Defender pickup with a V8 that sounded far from standard and looked pretty good (painted in sliver with a chrome roll bar behind the cab and a 110 litre LPG cylinder in the back). I've thought that a 110 pickup body on a P38 chassis could be fun. I'd keep the EAS and as much of the P38 niceties too.

Surely a 108" Series body on a P38 chassis?

Dunno, as long as it didn't have a roof. Sort of P38 sports car really......

A friend of mine has a D90 on a chopped RR Classic chassis. I wouldn't call it a sports car, even with a 4.6 turner engine in it - but it's a fun toy.

Nice idea but I think Series 1 long wheel base is 107" and then 109", series LWB 109", Defender 110 inches. there are plenty of 100 inch hybrid LR's and 88s based upon RR Classic chassis. I think the main issue is actually width. If doing it right you'd want to widen the body a little and use narrow tyres to fit so it looked fairly standard :-)

My 90 is soft-top, 4.6 V8 with auto so only need to add the EAS :D Unfortunately Land Rover Club rules mean I can't do that and continue to compete :-( Still, I don't need to do it now I have "Slim" and I can hear the stero (once I get it working)

Welcome aboard mate,

I'm pretty new on here and mine is always trying to trick me with new challenges ;-)