rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Well that's the first of all 4 being done. I took it slowly so the best part of 3 hours. I've read that some people can do it without removing the arch liner, I've no idea how. Must be Houdini's!
It should be half the time tomorrow for the front RHS. I'm glad I have an impact driver for that bottom nut on the front shock thats for sure. My neighbours think I have a Range Rover fetish

If you leave the liner in, you use bits of wood, or whatever is at hand to hold the liner out , the fact it only takes a few seconds to remove, it isn’t worth the hassle.
3 HRs for one bag is taking it a bit slow, I’d look at all 4 being done in less, but if you’ve never done them before, better safe than sorry, the rears are the hardest to do.
Did you trim the pipes ?

In fact if if the steel pin in the bottom of (OEM alloy) rear bags is seized in it can easily take 'a while' to get them out; Yes, take your time, it often takes hours the first time you do any job on cars.... all part of 'the learning' process (for next time ).of course.

Take the liners out: With those expanding clips that hold them in place I drill a small hole (Imm) in the centre of the plastic peg that pushes into it to expand it out....then I use a thin woodscrew screw to quickly extract those pegs, then the clips (the next time I remove them)..... then it takes maybe 10 minutes to remove a liner.

PS: As you can easily damage them get some spare clips anyway: I mean this type: e-bay 152012631480

I always have a bag of the clips, doing head gaskets all the time, I pull the r/h liner out all the time to get at exhaust manifold, if you have a pair of small pincers, pull the Center pegs out, you can do with a screw driver, but a little fidderly.
As Dave says, the pins on rear bags can be a nightmare, might be an idea if you don’t have new, to get some before starting the rears, I’ve had pins snap on top before, made it a fun job, but managed to get a handsaw in the gap and cut top of bag mounting off, they also have a tendency of sticking at the top, make sure you clean the area well before reinstalling.
Bet you do the other front bag in no time at all today..

The first time I did rear bags I spent hours getting the top pin out and even when that was out, more hours trying to pull the thing down out of the hole it fits into. Now, as the bags are pretty much scrap and going to be replaced anyway, I just slide an old 1" wood chisel between chassis and body and give it a good clout. Chops the top off the air spring and the whole thing just falls out.

Mukiwa wrote:

My neighbours think I have a Range Rover fetish

They're right :)

Replies in no particular order:

I couldn't work out how to get to the clips off the top of the front airbag, one thing I've learned is that any damage costs £££ so I take it easy now!

It took me ages to get the bottom pin into it as well, I eventually got it in once I'd jacked up the axle a bit more. It was frustrating so an old rule from the Royal Marines, "If at first you don't succeed, wrap and have a wet" or take a break and have a cup of tea and a fag (if you are a smoker!). So plenty of cups of tea while working out tactics.

No I didn't trim the pipe, I will today though.

Thanks for the clips info, I'll buy a bag or 2 for future proofing

Rear bag: I made a hook out of twisted coat hanger wire and sprayed lots of WD40 last time then just gave it a clean yank and out it popped. It was harder getting the top one to re-seat correctly but I eventually did it.

Then the impact driver started spinning the shock and lovely hot rubber smoke came pouring out.... Then I saw the nut and got a spanner locked against the hub. More fun was had including trying to fit both of the new rubbers that came with the Boges shock, but no, the new rubbers are too big by about 2 threads. So I had to re-use one of the old ones as it was slimmer or more compressed so that's above the lock nut. The top nut came off easily though, I was surprised.

Right time to watch Manchester City and then get to it again :-D

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I have it bad but then I read other threads and realise it's 3 cheeks of the same arse (to quote a phrase)

3 bags and 3 shocks all finished in 3 hours yesterday.

The test drive was interesting though, I drove over one of the many speed bumps on my road at 20mph (our limit) uphill and heard a rather loud bang from the back and saw something spinning across the road. I stopped and look underneath and guess what? The rear right shock had stripped they nyloc nut and the nut, rubber and big washer were missing and the shock pulled up inside the wheel well. Boges as well. I did think that the nyloc didn't feel like it was biting the thread it just felt funny going on. I'll speak to them about it later today.

Anyway I had my test drive tool kit and had to cut an M10 thread onto the now shit thread. Roadside repair affected and all is ok.
Finally got the expedited EAS kit from X8R today - not his fault, UK mail decided to have a day off after they paid for Saturday delivery - and so far Rommel is up and staying up.

There is a noticable difference in the pressure needed to push the air lines home in the block now compared to the (not so) cheap and nasty red o-ring kit. I bevelled the end of the airlines and put a touch of o-ring grease on them as well. Did a bubble check and all seems well.

Test drive time now.

and BANG! The NS rear shock nyloc nut ripped clean off this afternoon. These are Woodheads STC3671 from Island 4x4. The nyloc nut does not fit the threaded rod and you can't install the shock as per the photo on the web page as the exposed thread is not long enough to put the nut on. If you re-use the lower rubber from the old shock it fits and exposes around half an inch of thread. The problem is the metal threads in the nut are not gripping the threaded rod, only the nyloc part is.

I've spoken with Island and I'll see what they do, in the meantime I need to buy 2 more rear shocks as their RMA process can take up to 6 weeks and I have an MOT looming and drive to Limoges coming up.....

Update:

Fair play to Island, they have checked the other Woodhead rear shocks in stock and they have the wrong size nuts in them, they will be sending me replacements on Wednesday.

You know these things are sent to test you, certainly one to test your patience

You obviously got the knack for changing the bags now

Yup I do hahaha