rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Sorry this isn't range rover stuff but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this...

My missus has been learning to drive, we bought her an old Corsa to practice driving with me sat beside her but because I've been so busy she's spent more time driving with her instructor than with me.

Now I'm not so busy to me it seems the ideal time for us to go out in the Corsa together for her to practice driving - the roads are quieter than they're likely to be at any other time and if we don't need to refuel we're still isolated in the Corsa, which has a full tank of petrol at the moment... so enough fuel for plenty driving practice without having to refuel and bring either of us close to any other people. But she takes 'You must not leave the house except for work, shopping or medical reasons' very literally and refuses driving practice.

I think I take the common sense point of view, what do you think? The only potential issues I see are if: She crashes the car (lol) / or the car breaks down (so we'd need to call AA/RAC which might bring us within close contact of the services guy). Hardly concerns that are likely to be realised IMO. Not a joy ride or excuse to break the monotony of lockdown but something useful and productive timed ideally - What do you think?.

You could always get her to drive you to the supermarket? Pick one a fair distance away and if you get pulled, which is pretty unlikely, I did over 90 miles yesterday and didn't, just tell them your local one had run out of bog rolls/bread/eggs/milk......

+1, you needed to do the "weekly shop" at the big one down the road. That's only a problem if it turns out you actually live next door to the biggest one around o)

Thanks,

Yes saying we're going to the shops is an option but would it be a problem to be straight-up if questioned and say we were just out for driving practice?

She's also read somewhere 'Learners shouldn't be going out for driving practice even with someone from the same household'. Bah! Doesn't make much sense to me... maybe it's to prevent people going for joy rides pretending they're out for driving practice.

Lol...too honest for your own good. Don't forget to take your bags for life, and a really long shopping list. I'm sure the police have better things to do, but don't stop off at any Derbyshire beauty spots

Hehe... If we got stopped I'd try to blag it with something like 'We are going shopping but taking the long route for the driving practice'. I see rules as being there to serve a purpose which in this case is to prevent people to people contact and spreading the virus.. and driving practice wouldn't cause the thing trying to be prevented so wouldn't be a problem. But she sees rules more in black and white regardless of the intention.

I'd be more inclined to agree with her.
My Mrs is immunosuppresed so is locked up at home. I'm still having to go to work.

Lots of folk are trying to justify doing lots of things.

Sorry to disagree

I'm only allowed out to get shopping..

I enjoy the P38 for the few miles though LOL

I'm WFH but I have a letter from HR that they think will impress the police if I have to go anywhere. I'm not so sure they'd count "Fitting wifi to the owner's gym" as vital...