rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I've just bought an 36mm impact socket from Amazon, and when it turned up it was 12 point. Is it me, or is that a bit unusual? I'm a bit confused overall as to why 12pt are the default for all sockets when 6 sided are less likely to round off nuts.
Am I being thick or is there an advantage to 12 sided sockets?

No advantage at all as you've a smaller contact area and, as you say, easier to round off nuts. I don't think I've ever seen 12 point impact sockets to be perfectly honest, especially not in big sizes like that.

Ive a set of ‘Universal sockets”, which are Advertised as being good for either metric or inch. I only use them on small stubborn nuts or bolts as they give a better grip than the 6 point. Handy to have, is how I would describe them....
Metric anything in USA is challenging to locate.

Bi-Hex are the work of satan..

6 side for applications requiring a good dugga dugga from an impact or a big breaker bar.

Multi points are pretty for a shiny set as and when

Hmm, got the wrong one then :(
It's a black cr-v socket from Laser.

Chrome Moly are impact rated

don't use basic 12 sided sockets on impact drivers you will damage or split them, impact sockets are made of different stuff.
if the socket they sent you is black cr v and thicker than usual it might be ok , all my impact sockets are 6 sided from memory and a lot heavier than a standard socket.

It's an impact socket, just 12 sided which is clear on the picture now I double check :/

I'll be using it with a big bar anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012MEK1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I generally prefer 6 sided sockets as the grab the flats instead of the corners of a nut/bolt..

Odd it is listed as an Impact socket, it is made of chrome vanadium the same as the shiny silver ones, which like to crack with impacts.

All impacts should be chrome moly..

Anyway..

It'll work but the chances of rounding the head are increased.

whats it for , the axle nut?
if you are going to use a bar, it doesn't matter , it dose look meaty enough thou.

Yep, axle nut on a Jeep. I need to change the axle UJs which are on the slow boat from the USA. I think it's also time to invest in a torque wrench, at least 170lb ft...

There are a few bolts on the P38 which are 12-point... (I'm looking at you Panhard rod bolts for a start!) but granted not many...

Concerning a hefty torque wrench for Morat I'm very happy with my Britool HVT5000. Under £70 delivered off E-Bay. Its something of a monster, 3/4 drive and over 3 ft long but it does 100 to 400 ft lb and no worries about things breaking as its old school without ratchet, reverse lever or any other niceties. Just a push through drive square to reverse.

Mine didn't have the adjuster widget which folks seem to set great store by when paying higher prices. Old knows why 'cos a screwdriver through the hole in the short sticky out shaft works just fine. Its not as if its like its smaller cousins of similar vintage where the adjuster slides down into a hollow shaft.

Clive

That does sound like a might tool (ooer) but I'm really looking at 1/2 drive max. Is it true that if you use an adapter the torque setting will be inaccurate? I'm a novice with torque wrenches.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040215051/ err, How Much? :) You got yourself a bargain there!

I don't think using an adapter will be less accurate, however, all torque wrenches have their range... if you use an adapter (either up, or down) it probably means you are operating further away from the mid-point torque for the design. I have a 1/2" Kamasa, which is the normal type with a micrometer-type handle, and a clarkepro 3/8" electronic which is great, as it beeps even when the screen is facing away from you. The 3/8 one is definitely not for you though, as it will only do about 100 ft lbs.

That Kamasa is rated more like the ones we had on armoured vehicles (I wish I had paid more attention at the time!)

Any adapter that extends fore or after will affect your reading. Eg when using a crows foot, or torque adapter, put it at 90°. Otherwise you should do the math as your torque reading will be incorrect.