rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Just wondering today after topping her off..

The oil is quite clear even after 1500mi,

enter image description here

Castrol Edge 10w60.

Looks about right, 1500 is nothing, if running on LPG, it'll still look like that in 10,000 miles time. But why are you having to top it up after 1500 miles?

Ah yes..

I changed the Oil but only bought 5 litres, i need an extra 0.7

https://youtu.be/g_WF9szIrVU

Lovely..

The beauty of lpg, clean running, unfortunately my isn’t working, grrr and now there taking lpg away from only garage near me

Gilbertd wrote:

Looks about right, 1500 is nothing, if running on LPG, it'll still look like that in 10,000 miles time. But why are you having to top it up after 1500 miles?

It will if you're running a mixer. On multipoint, you start on petrol and oil gets all gunky. It annoys me that I'm missing out on that advantage for LPG.

Depends on how far you go. If it runs on petrol for 1 mile then on LPG for 9, that's 10% on petrol but, if like me you run on petrol for 1 mile then on LPG for 200, that's only 0.5%. I start on petrol and run on it for about 2 seconds while it switches over....

Try running a diesel. It goes black after just a few hundred miles.
Oil changes are every 6000 miles. That means 10 litres and a new filter.
A cost if you are on fully synthetic.

and not only the oil. One reason why I keep well away from diesels, other than I know naff all about them, is your hands go black just by opening the bonnet.....

Richard, that's just an advantage of making long journeys. Most of the oil fouling occurs at startup so your oil would still be in better shape if you ran on petrol for 200 miles every trip.

My understanding is that oil getting dirty looking means it's doing its job of cleaning the engine and you shouldn't worry about it. Just change it regularly.

It's cleaning up the soot from combustion which is why it stays cleaner when the engine runs on LPG as it's a much cleaner fuel and produces virtually no soot. For the same reason the oil in a diesel gets dirtier. You're right in that it cleans the engine but only if there is anything there to clean.

Yes, LPG is massively cleaner, especially for particulates. I just wish we could start on it and ignore the petrol side altogether. The start up is the worst phase for emissions and sooting up the engine due to the cold start enrichment that petrol needs, but LPG can avoid because it is naturally a vapour.
Also, the cats are cold but that's not a huge deal for LPG.

Gilbertd wrote:

and not only the oil. One reason why I keep well away from diesels, other than I know naff all about them, is your hands go black just by opening the bonnet.....

Ain’t that the truth 😂🤣

Not all diesels

My 190k TD5 is spotless inside

enter image description here

But i'd say most other diesels are black as the ace of spades, especially neglected ones!

Have you started it yet?
Sorry Henry, couldn't resist.

Not yet LOL

The flexplate shattered and i'm pretty sure the turbo oil seals have failed too!!

Typical diesel!!

Black as a black thing. It is diesel though.
All diesel I've had were same.
Doesn't help that about 2 litres of oil stays in cooling circuit.

why the heavy viscosity oil 10w 60? any reason? its not a problem just asking.

That's what V8 Developments recommended when I picked the engine up after they'd rebuilt it, so that's what I've used every since. It's an engine design that goes back to the 1960's when multigrade oil was 20W 50 so that's what it would have been designed for. It's done another 115,000 miles since then and the oil is still as clean now as the first lot that went in.