rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi folks, I'm now learning more about exhausts....

The Duchess has been very noisy on startup, and quite rattly - then calming down. It turned out the the exhaust clamp upstream of the centre box is loose, rusted and not clamping properly.

So, I've been sticking my head underneath and reckon that I can get the exhaust system down (seems to be a total of three rubber hangers) but how would I replace the clamp? The pipes are all in good nick, and I can cut off the old clamp - but how would I get a new one over the flared ends so I could tighten it up?

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a clamp that you can attach to the two ends of the pipe, jubilee clip style - but has a way of tightening the two halves together. I can't find one.

What would a proper mechanic do in this situation?

Thank you!!

If you do a Google search for "exhaust pipe clamp" You will find several types.
I have used the U bolt version and the wrap around flat strap type both with good results.

You can get a split flange clamp EXAMPLE https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiilu-Exhaust-Flange-Replacement-Accessory/dp/B087G9WRQT/ref=sr_1_14?c=ts&keywords=Car+Exhaust+System+Clamps%2C+Flanges+%26+Hangers&qid=1695494450&refinements=p_36%3A304526031&s=automotive&sr=1-14&ts_id=4920116031

I can't remember the width of the exhaust i'm sure someone else does but those work ok to replace the old flange clamps that tend to rust off.

Presumably you are talking about the clamp on the pipe side of the junction with the centre box.

I had this issue when the stainless steel silencers were fitted back in 2015. I designed a two piece clamp comprising 6 identical pieces of 2 mm sheet steel which could be welded together as a pair of half circle clamps with fork and blade style connections where the bolts go through. Every near half circle had a bolt hole in it but the three pieces comprising each one were offset so the middle section poked out one side and there was a gap between the bolt holes on the other. Classic example of design from my Over-Clever period but the intent was to produce something that could be made with hole saws and a drill by normal folk.

No great issue to make one for you, or send a copy of the drawings if you fancy DIY and know someone to do the weld together bit, but I can't guarantee the fit as I never made the thing to verify my drawings. On something that simple they should be right but...

In the event the exhaust place got clever with their gas welding gear and stuck a pair of L shaped brackets on the pipe sort of aligned with the bolt holes on the silencer box. Lots of exhaust paste stopped the leaks. Which barely made it to next MoT before I had to get clever with stepped suds to overcome the fit errors and stop the leaks properly.

With 20/20 hindsight I think they would have done better to leave the L brackets separate and loosely bolt them to the centre box before fixing to the pipe with a clamp and finally bolting up when the brackets were secure. I imagine a Mirkalor style clamp would be needed to clear the bolt heads. U bolt style would almost certainly get in the way and a jubilee style clip just won't be strong enough to pull the L brackets hard onto the pipe.

Clive

I like the split clamp Strange Rover found, much easier than DIY, but it will need to be opened out to 67 mm or 2 5/8 inches. My Google-fu can't find one that size. Looks like there is enough metal in the 2.5 inch one to file or machine out to fit the Range Rover pipe.

Clive

You're a bunch of scholars and gentlemen!

I'm pretty sure this is the right size, I did come up with 3 inches as the OD with my super cheap VeryNears. I'll double check which side of the join I was measuring.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385455145574?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=n914arF-QvC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Xvg3tyMOQde&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Morat

Do check carefully. My drawing shows 67 mm / 2 5/8 " pipe diameter and 88 mm / 3 1/2" hole spacing with 9 mm Ø hole for my year 2000 4.0 V8.

If you get stuck I can quite easily make you something along the lines of your E-Bay find.

Clive

Morat wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385455145574?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=n914arF-QvC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Xvg3tyMOQde&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That would do it but at 23 quid? I'd get 6 inches of the next size up pipe, cut slots in each end, cut the flared bits off both ends of the existing pipes, slide it on over both ends with a good smear of exhaust assembly paste and a couple of U clamps......

VW/Audi and the other german marques use a sleeve style clamp with large bands:

enter image description here

They come in a variety of sizes. The Audi exhaust systems come from the factory as one single piece, but if you need to replace a muffler for instance they have a prescribed cut line, and then use those clamps to join the two halves back together. They also use them between the downpipe and system, instead of a flange.

They work really well if you can find one the right size. They are often metric and come in 5mm increments.

I like those Audi style pipe connectors. As they wrap around, they will also take up and slight difference in pipe sizes too. I used one on one P38 that had been fitted with a non-standard stainless system so the flange had been cut off the downpipe section. Far better than the bodge using GunGum bandage that whoever fitted it had used.

I second that, I have been using those clamps as well ... and also a good thing is that if a bolt seizes, is easy to cut it and replace it with a new one, standard sizes!