rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I made a video of the noises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZX6nVdlgI

The exhaust solenoid is acting weird I think. The last noise is the strangest.
Other Issues related to EAS are.

1. Truck rear will raise when driving.
  2. Whole truck will raise to wade height when driving.
  3. Truck will take forever to lower.
  4. If I disconnect the timer relay the truck will stay somwhat level for days.

I activated the pump with my Nanocom so the noises could be heard with no engine noise.

Anyone recognize these sounds?

I just had a problem with my EAS. I stripped the block to redo all of the orings. After I did it, whilst driving, the car would just automatically rise up to extended ride height by itself. Refused to come back down usually. I found that it behaved best on motorway mode with the inhibit switch on but it still did it now and then. I was sure I hadn't done anything wrong when rebuilding it but alas I stripped it back down and looked at everything again. Turned out that the metal cap had bust off the new diaphragm I had put in. Put a new one in and that fixed it. Not saying that you have the same problem, but like I say, when mine was going to extended height by itself, it was a knackered diaphragm.

I had the same exact issue with the diaphragm and contacted the company and they called me a liar at first. "That has never happened our product before" blah blah. Anyway I had kept the old solid diaphragm that I got 2 years ago and put that back in. I did not have these noises when I had the bad diaphragm.

you ran diagnostics?

Yes. Nothing. I watched as it rose going down the road. No call for change but I watched the heights rise on the screen.

I have a valve block kit so maybe I will pull the whole thing apart for the 6th time in 5 years. Fun times.
I have never driven another P38 but my suspension only occasionally feels like they describe it should fell like. I don't think it ever worked right.
Other posts:
https://rangerovers.pub/topic/139-eas-front-drops-while-driving
https://rangerovers.pub/topic/368-weird-eas-issues

Well, if it can't lower it will think it's bellied out and try to raise itself to "extended extended" height. Mine does that because the driver unit is intermittently faulty.

The Driver unit has already been replaced. It could be a bad connection between the driver unit and ECU. I am off next week and plan on checking the wiring out.

If it's a second-hand driver pack it's likely to be no better than the one you took out :-D

Nope it was a new driver pack. Old one is still good as system and symptoms did not change when driver pack was installed. Could not return to seller.

Interesting discussion.

When I put mine back to EAS, anything over 50mph would drop it to the bump stops rather than highway. Jack up the front, clear the fault and back to normal, until the next time. After that it would randomly decide to lift to high but drop on the press of the button.

The only fault showing on Nano is all four sensors out of range.

Played about for a bit with heights and it stopped randomly rising and all works fine but the sensor fault remains.

It also insists on dropping to access when I switch off but only in one particular multi-storey car park. Sometimes!

Peculiar.

GeorgeB wrote:

Interesting discussion.

When I put mine back to EAS, anything over 50mph would drop it to the bump stops rather than highway. Jack up the front, clear the fault and back to normal, until the next time. After that it would randomly decide to lift to high but drop on the press of the button.

Does sound like a calibration issue...

The only fault showing on Nano is all four sensors out of range.

Played about for a bit with heights and it stopped randomly rising and all works fine but the sensor fault remains.

How did you set the heights?

gordonjcp wrote

How did you set the heights?

Originally done via Testbook by the guy that helped me do the swap.To be honest, I don't know what he did as the garage owner had cracked the cold beer out at that point!

But that's when I found two issues. One, the dropping to the bump stops at +50mph and two, but not a fault, rubbing on the 165/70s I'd fitted occasionally.

With the Nano, I left access alone, lifted standard by half an inch or so (measured by Mr. Stanley's trusty tape from wheel centre) and left extended as set. That's when it decided to extend, twice, from standard to extended unbidden.

Cleared the sensor faults and the issue went away. All works fine.

However, the faults are persistent and reoccur after every clear. All four were new and correct for year.

To be honest, I don't know if the 50mph fault still exists as I've been nowhere that you can get even close to that, let alone maintain it for 30 seconds.

Heights at each setting are within an mm or so across axles.

The tape measure method pretty much doesn't work and guarantees you're going to get softfaults all the time. Far better to make up a set of height blocks!

Or in George's case, get his man to make up a set.......

I have a set of blocks I made from dowel but lack a level surface to use them. Guess I need to borrow a garage floor.

rayodunne wrote:

I have a set of blocks I made from dowel but lack a level surface to use them. Guess I need to borrow a garage floor.

No need- the whole point of the blocks is that they fix the distance between the suspension points. As long as the car is sitting firmly on the blocks at all corners the angle/ quality of floor is irrelevant.

Or just adjust the tyre pressures until it's sitting level!

(I'll get my coat)

Gilbertd wrote:

Think I better do that myself if I want better than +-3inch accuracy!

GeorgeB wrote:

Gilbertd wrote:

Think I better do that myself if I want better than +-3inch accuracy!

Is his tool of choice an Axe?