rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Zip ties are great things, have stopped many a rattle over the years.

Been suffering from reluctant suspension the last couple of times I've had her out so decided to have a look on Monday.

Removed the intake filter off the pump and nothing. The pump's running but not pulling air.

On strip down I found the piston "ring" and bore to be good but the o-ring under the output reed valve was goosed. Hmm, none the right size in stock.

Fortunately, when I went back to air, I rebuilt a second hand pump, but it was always a bit noisy, which is why I fitted a new one. Dug it out and pulled the "head". Ooh, what a lovely o-ring, so a quick head swap was on the cards. Done, pump refitted and she rose like a young salmon.

Don't we love a free fix.

Not actually done anything to it at all but went out shopping yesterday in preparation for the impending England lockdown. I've got a new petrol pump to fit with a gauge sender that isn't worn out at one point on the track, so bought some hose clips to fit the hose I've already got (as I'm expecting the pipes above the tank to be rusted and may need to replace them) and I've got a new chain, bearings and seals to put in the transfer case so bought a set of bearing pullers and bottles of ATF. Also got a pair of engine mounts to change and as the RH one may involve removing the inner wheelarch liner to get to the top nuts, asked in my local factors if they had anything similar to the plastic fixings to put it back (as at least 2 are currently missing and the others aren't in brilliant condition) and they actually have the real things on the shelf. 50p each, which is twice what Island want for them, but off the shelf rather than having to add postage and wait for them to arrive. Just got to wait for a couple of days with no rain now to spend my time laying under the car.

Richard ... please take as many images / pictures, as You can of all of those jobs ;-)
Or, if You have useful links, pls provide them as well ... always a pleasure reading Your knowledge, knowing every plug and its pinout in the P38 by firstname, heritage and all relatives ;-)

Nearly everything on my maintenance / exchange projects list ...

Spent today towing equipment back to the yard in preparation for lockdown, quite a few tractors and farm equipment that needs repairs, it seems to have flooded in like nobodies business!

Probably due to the lockdown that is coming

Anyhoo the EAS seems to be dialled, it is performing faultlessly, hopefully i'll be able to depend on her this winter!

As a treat I put £80 of Shell super unleaded in her, Next weeks battle will be the LPG if I get any time to work on her!

KCR wrote:

Richard ... please take as many images / pictures, as You can of all of those jobs ;-)

I'll try and remember. I often start a job thinking I'll photograph each step for the benefit of others, then get stuck into the job and completely forget about taking any pictures until I've got it finished. Not sure when it is going to be though. The garage is full of Maserati and too small to be able to get a P38 in and still be able to move around and work on it, so it'll have to be done outside. Weather forecast for the next week or so says when it isn't raining it'll be cold, neither of which is what I want when outside laying under the car.

So not my truck specifically, but, I went to buy a tow bar off a truck being wrecked to fit to the (road registered) spare parts truck. Well the tow bar was welded on and old mate didn’t have the time, or inclination, to remove it. So I asked if I could have a pick over the bones. 1997 truck. So in my garage I have all of the rear lights, tailgate locks, tailgate button, rear plastic trim, front seat trim, 2 x blower motors, ECU, BECM, transmission, transfer box, EAS and cruise control ECU, glove box surround, a pillar trims, exterior mirrors, air box, MAF, induction pipe, washer bottle, instrument binnacle, interior lights and a few trim odds and ends.

Oh and one for @Gilbertd - the external A pillar trims were in great shape, despite 23 years in the Australian sun. Do you know of any market for them? :)

Two hours well spent.

Marshall8hp wrote:

Oh and one for @Gilbertd - the external A pillar trims were in great shape, despite 23 years in the Australian sun. Do you know of any market for them? :)

S'funny that, I thought they were supposed to crumble away in sunnier climes? Or does that only apply when someone who appeared to be closely related to a troll tries to pull them off without undoing the screws first?

I wish I could find on in a breakers to do the same. There's so many bits that the average scrappy wouldn't consider worth anything. These days the traditional breakers have all become 'vehicle recyclers' so you can't just wander around helping yourself to useful bits and pay a few quid for the lot. I run an additional lambda sensor solely to drive the LPG system so the petrol and LPG systems are totally independent of each other. After going through numerous cheapo Chinese universal sensors I bought a good quality NTK sensor that was intended for a Ford, so cheap and readily available. I wanted the bit of the vehicle loom with the connector on it so I could just plug straight in only to find that the one remaining breakers around here take the whole loom off and weight them in as scrap. In the old days I would have been able to wander around with a pair of wire cutters, find a suitable plug and chop it off but not these days.

Gilbertd wrote:

I wanted the bit of the vehicle loom with the connector on it so I could just plug straight in only to find that the one remaining breakers around here take the whole loom off and weight them in as scrap. In the old days I would have been able to wander around with a pair of wire cutters, find a suitable plug and chop it off but not these days.

Have you sorted that? We did chop up (quite literally) an Early Focus (wanted the front subframe off it, and that made it difficult to transport afterwards as it had no way to attach the front wheels, so it got sectioned into pieces small enough to lift onto our trailer) and a load of the loom was kept just in case it was wanted later. If you know which plug you want (Round plug or square, I think its likely the round one?), I can have a look around as that bit might still be available if you need it? Might take a week or so though.

No Brian, still looking. It's a 4 pin, round one as I'm using the lambda sensor from a 1.8 Focus but looks like its the same one used on all models of Focus..

I'll have a look through the box full of wiring loom down at the workshop this weekend and let you know if I have any luck

if you want a tow bar David i have a hayman reese tow bar , just to add to the fiasco of my broken tail gate (attacked by the lawn mower ) when looking for another tail gate i found a heap of parts for almost nothing i stopped of at a friends place to give him a gearbox and some sundry items for his disco and he turns around and gives me his p38 , so now i have 2 complete cars and lots of parts .
apparently it doesn't matter where you park them they still accumulate, safety in numbers.

Ah well, that is very kind of you! Simple answer is yes please but how do we get it from you to me?

There is a freight company I have used in the past that was quite economical, ex L'ton but I assume they cover the Coast too. I got a 25kg box from there to Syd for $50 which I thought wasn't too bad.

Let me see.

mad-as wrote:

he turns around and gives me his p38 , so now i have 2 complete cars and lots of parts .
apparently it doesn't matter where you park them they still accumulate, safety in numbers.

I wish!

Changed front pads today, much better braking now less pedal travel. Moving on to sorting poor fuel economy before my move 11.5 mpg at the moment.

Removed and refitted the glovebox, replacing the lock mechanism in the process as the one I had was a little sad and couldn’t be adjusted. Then for fun, adjusted the RHS rear bumper mount, as I didn’t like the way it was sitting. Sad I know, but starting to run out of jobs. That having been said, I might tackle an overhaul of the (functioning) blower motors as I now have a couple of spares.

@Gilbertd or anyone else for that matter, do you know the part number of the two power transistors on the blower motor controller? I thought I might get four and do a bench overhaul of the spares so I know they are good.

Originals are FW26025A1, datasheet and equivalents https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=69253

Boys are gathering lots of stuff, this is very good!!

Me, still lingering on various issues. But soon ...

Fitted top box for my next trip.

Didn't think you were allowed to go out at the moment, not for anything that isn't considered 'essential' anyway.