Today I completed the refurbishment of the errant starter motor. A few piccies:
First stage of disassembly - note the orange shroud around the solenoid piston. Not seen one of these before but I assume it’s there to keep the solenoid inner workings as clean as possible:
Second stage of disassembly - the main motor components:
Third sage of disassembly - the solenoid. I feared this may be the problem child but couldn’t find any clear problem. The piston seemed pretty clean and moved freely. All the contacts conned out OK but were thoroughly cleaned as were its inner workings:
Items after a run in the wash tank and the blast cabinet to remove paint and generally clean them up ready for painting:
Main motor bits cleaned up, commutator and bush/bearing surfaces polished. All gears were cleaned out and re-greased. The new brush cage assembly is also in shot:
Parts masked up and then painted in primer ready for top coat:
Once the top coat had dried all items were then inspected, thoroughly cleaned (again) ready for reassembly. I did not find any real problem, even the carbon brushes and cage assembly looked to have plenty of life left - it was renewed anyway. The whole unit was then reassembled. The biggest problem experienced during this exercise was disassembly and getting the fixings out. The main through bolts were OK but the three bolts holding the solenoid in place and the two small screws locating the brush cage in place were a right pain. The heads seemed to be made of chocolate and chewed up rather quickly and easily rather than just unscrew. Perseverance beat them into submission and new Allen head stainless steel bolts replaced them.
The acid test was a few test runs on the bench. Here’s a video of one:
Starter Motor Test
It’s now packaged up and on the shelf joining my other ready use spares!
Yes . . . . . . I do own the road