rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Gents..

My Car has always had an idle issue when cold.

I replaced my old IACV due to the fact the valve thing inside was seized solid.

A 2nd hand one was sourced and fitted, however it still idled bad for a few seconds when cold, but it was better..
She now sits at around 1350rpm when cold and it does settle down to just under 1000rpm, however if she is revved it sits at 1300 for a few seconds which with an Auto is an issue especially when trying to pull out of my estate with the car forcing against the brakes!

I've watched a few youtube videos and saw a chap clean an IACV on a BMW which looked similar and he said the thingy inside should slap side to side when you shake it?

Is that right?

Mine is stiff but not seized solid.

Also is there a "set point" that the blade/valve inside needs to be set at when assembled???

Cheers,

H

I should add, when hot she idles beautifully.

It acts like an old car that sits on choke for a tad too long, if that makes sense

Although mine is a GEMS, so different, it idles for about 30 seconds at 900 ish RPM cold and then settles down to around 675 ish. Transmission and other loads make no difference to the idle speed, so no load and then drop it into gear, the tacho doesn't move.

With the GEMS you can adjust the idle by adjusting the air screw, once you are happy that the stepper motor is where it should be.

I clean my Disco 2 Thor engine's IAC valve by...
removing it from the top of the engine,
spray each opening liberally with brake cleaner (be careful of blow back from the spray into your face),
scrub the inner area with an old tooth brush,
keep spraying the openings to clean it out
and when you gently shake it you will hear the rattling of the stepper motor when it's all loosened up.

Since you are wanting to clean the IACV you might as well clean the throttle plate and MAF sensor.

Another vote for soaking it in brake cleaner and giving it a gentle prod with a screwdriver whilst shaking it.

David.

One day I'll buy an ultrasonic cleaner but until then, brake cleaner is pretty awesome stuff.