rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

That's an AEB025 pressure sensor, so is the later (and latest) type. Difficult to see the attaching wiring, if the wiring doesn't look tampered with and there is no adaptor (to adapt from old type AEB013 connector on old type wiring loom to AEB025 type connector, i.e. a short bit of wire with a plug on each end) then I would suspect you have an N type ECU (so is slave / much more common type similar to even the latest type systems). If that's the case then, as explained above, the V6 software is very likely to work with it. Even systems fitted 11 years ago are unlikely to be pre-N type. One way to confirm would be to check your petrol fuel trims while running on gas - if fuel trims (when running on gas) don't drift to one extreme or the other then it will almost certainly be N type, if your fuel trims do drift to one extreme (rich or lean) when running on gas then this doesn't prove that you have pre-N type because this could also be explained by there being a problem with your LPG system or with how it is calibrated. Yet another way to check is by looking on the back of the LPG ECU, if it is N type it will be stamped AEB2568, I suspect yours will have a B or C suffix at the end of that board code too (still implying N type).

Simon

Dug through some pics I took the oher day. Appears to have nothing resembling a stamp on the back. Blurred picture doesn't help:
enter image description here

The wiring does look quite badly tampered with! Another blurred pic from the other day, lots of blue tape in evidence:
I see some cable replacement in my future....

Another "interesting" feature of the LPG install, is the use of a sandwich plate and a bucket of silicon to lift the upper inlet manifold to clear the pipes. That explains the use of extended studs to mount the upper manifold then!

Makes for shorter equal length hoses from matrix units to jets and it is a tidy install. Done properly, I can't see any disadvantages of this setup. I'll clean it all up, make sure machined surfaces are flat and replace the silicon with a proper gasket.

Hmm, well without a stamp the jury is still out on whether this is a preN or N system. There is yet another way to tell... If there is a connection to TPS (likely a blue and yellow wire) it will be a preN system.

I've converted a few P38's myself years ago using a sandwich plate.. but I made up heat shields for the injectors, fitted a reducer that is more on top of the job for the V8, used another gasket with the sandwich plate and mapped it properly! ;-) With manifold nozzles in the correct place near petrol injectors, short pipes will run to injectors sat at either side of the engine, OK except this can mean they're above exhaust manifolds so pick up both infrared and convection heat and with rails widely apart at each side of the engine it isn't a complete no-brainer keeping injector rail feed pipe lengths to the reducer both the same length (not a biggie really!).

It is possible to convert these engines in the same way without even using a sandwich plate, can simply machine the ribs on the rocker covers and the underside of the upper manifold a bit to make room for 5mm internal diameter pipes to run to injectors at either side of the engine. 4mm pipe will fit even without the machining but would mean using different injectors (Matrix have 6mm outlets, 6mm or 5mm pipe will fit but 4mm won't). I've converted some P38s with both of these methods (the machining / the 4mm pipe) too.

These days I machine metal from between the finger spans of the banana manifold, so injectors can sit atop the engine with pipes running to nozzles in the manifold in the correct place through the machined holes in the upper manifold, doing away with the need for heat shields and keeping pipe lengths (including between reducer and each injector rail) all similar..

Simon

I'll have a look for TPS connection when over at workshop later. Hopefully won't find one!
I don't like the matrix units just flapping around on hoses as currently installed so will make up some mounting brackets/ heatshields for them, killing two birds with one stone.
I think I'll modify the rail feed pipe to reducer, as you suggest, to tee from the centre rather than reducer side of engine.
The hunt for the missing "N" continues...

Also need to repair the cables to a sensor of some kind installed in the gas side line between reducer and filter. Rubbed nicely against solenoid bracket and chafed through. Sigh.

Well, finally found the missing Molex connector for the diagnostics. Will it do bad things if I plug the earliest version of the diagnostics that I have into the system without knowing exactly what I have?!

No, it just won't connect if the firmware in the ECU and the software you are using don't match. No different to trying to use something like Bigas, OMVL, etc software with your Zavoli ECU, although they use the same AEB ECU, it just doesn't connect because of the differing firmware.

It's pretty fascinating! I had the software to connect to the old system on my Jeep and I was able to get a decent idea of how if worked, if not how to fix it :)

At last, and with the benefit of adding a polarised lens to my Note camera (not an easy thing to do) I've finally managed to extract the data plate from my LPG ECU, so, the $60 000 question. From this info, can any of my favourite gurus tell me exactly what system I have now?
enter image description here.
Thanks guys...
EDIT- from a bit of judicious Googling I'm deducing it's an AEB2568B. What version of the software will work with this and what installation manual is the most appropriate?

Yes it's an AEB2568B, which is an 'N' system, later type, the B suffix means it's 2nd generation N system (like I implied above!), it is the sequential slave type.

This is for intents and purposes fully interchangeable with even the most recent AEB2568 systems that are still made today.

If V6 software doesn't work, an earlier version such as v4.x or v3.x should. V5 software usually works with C/D suffix boards. As memory serves, B added sequential changeover, C added more advanced on board diagnostics, D is around when they became truly sequential and added connectivity to vehicle OBD2 to allow the LPG ECU to read petrol fuel trims.

Although it is termed sequential, on a B suffix it probably only reads petrol injector pulse duration from the front cylinder in each bank and bases gas pulse duration for all cylinders on the bank on only this reading, in which case it doesn't match the modern definition of truly sequential (wait for petrol pulse on each cylinder before beginning LPG injection pulse on that cylinder), but this isn't an issue on a P38.

Simon

Cheers Simon
Now off on a hunt for some v4.x or v3.x software.
Feeling much more upbeat about the LPG setup now I know what it is. Might even hunt around for a 2568D if they're THAT interchangeable (plug and play, not needing new looms sensors etc). That's probably running before I can even crawl though so will concentrate on getting it 100% on what I've got 1st :)

You have email.......

Smiles Gilbertd- indeed I have, but not in the workshop (gmail only here),
I'll have a look with eager anticipation when I get home. Thanks in advance.
BTW I don't have a Clarion as per your other post, but in the 95 I have a cheapish Kenwood unit with my version of Ambler attenuators and it sounds bloody brilliant through the door amps etc. Something like that might do him as a stopgap?

Orangebean wrote:

BTW I don't have a Clarion as per your other post, but in the 95 I have a cheapish Kenwood unit with my version of Ambler attenuators and it sounds bloody brilliant through the door amps etc. Something like that might do him as a stopgap?

I'd do this anyway - the Clarion is a bit naff and not exactly full of functionality. You can get a PAC-SWI to connect the steering wheel controls if he has/wants them.

Yep- got one of those as well. With a bluetooth dongle plugged into aux in and a micro sd 64GB in the USB slot I've got all the worlds music at my (and my phones) fingertips.

Sloth wrote:

Orangebean wrote:

I'd do this anyway - the Clarion is a bit naff and not exactly full of functionality. You can get a PAC-SWI to connect the steering wheel controls if he has/wants them.

They are that interchangeable but it is unlikely you'd see any difference updating to a more recent ECU and in some cases swapping to a more recent ECU can even prove a negative move.

200Gb worth of music on the hard drive in this laptop, backed up from another laptop from when I used to be a DJ. And this doesn't include the hundreds of CDs full of MP3s (maybe 100 tunes per CD) that I never put on a hard drive!

Simon

So- one new solenoid arriving tomorrow, air lock loops in plumbing removed. Reducer relocated and installed in correct orientation according to Zavoli with temp output cable at top. Dunno why- it's run since '05 like it was but I have a compulsion to RTFM and follow it where possible.
May run tomorow, but sometimes, tomorrow never comes!