rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Orangebean wrote:

There are no leads or connectors that I can see under the upper plenum where the petrol injection wiring lives around #1 or #2 injectors that are connected to the LPG system.

Forgive me my ignorence, this a total shot in the dark as I hardly know where I'm talking about when it comes to LPG but on my AEB-D system the "3rd wires" on the petrol injectors are at petrol injectors 7 and 8.
I thought I better mention it.
Tony.

Thanks Simon
Whilst repairing the section of LPG loom and heat shrinking where I'd had to cut/ resolder the white/ red wire it appears that someone else has been there before me and done the same thing a couple of inches away and slid the sheathing over it to hide it.
From the general state of the LPG loom, if money was no object, I'd replace it cos it's getting pretty "crunchy" in places. Can't justify spending any more at the moment so am going to have to make do and mend.
Anyway, back on with the plenum etc now. returning to LPG testing once the petrol side's up and (hopefully) running!

We've moved on from there on this system Tony. The ignition switched 12v is indeed picked up from the back of #1 injector. I've just tested it and it is inded getting 12v ignition fed.
Thanks though- any info can really help.

Ferryman wrote:

Forgive me my ignorence, this a total shot in the dark as I hardly know where I'm talking about when it comes to LPG but on my AEB-D system the "3rd wires" on the petrol injectors are at petrol injectors 7 and 8.
I thought I better mention it.
Tony.

Now you've found the ignition switched supply, the LPG switch should light up now. You've got it back to how it was 5 days ago......

Hmmm.... we'll see. Need to open up LPG ECU main plug and probe there as found switched 12v opening up cable outside of plenum area so I could reinstall that knowing that it shouldn't have to come off again. Had enough for the day. Cold, tired, Plenum upper back on and torqued up.
Tried a completeley clean install of 4.6.1 (removed/ uninstalled everything relating to Alisei or Zavoli) on Laptop. Still only gives choice of 3 or 4 cylinders! Getting a little bored with that story.

I've just loaded up my version of the Zavoli software, and by default it will show only 3/4 cylinder options, with no ECU connected.

I can go back in to the main menu and load a previous configuration which is 5-6-8 cylinder, and then go back into the vehicle options and it then shows 8 cylinders.

If you haven't already saved a 5-6-8 cylinder file (which you probably won't have if you've never had it connected) then it won't let you (that I can see) make a 5-6-8 cylinder config.

However if you were to be able to connect to the ECU, then it would download the current settings from the ECU and it would show up in the vehicle settings as being an 8 cylinder install.

Have you ever had it connected to the ECU? Silly question, but the USB-serial cable that's used to connect to the ECU... have the correct drivers been installed for it? Windows sometimes installs generic USB-serial drivers, but they need to be the actual ones that come with the software.

Never successfully connected with anything but understand what you're saying about config files as some of the versions I've tried to install/ run give me the option to update ECU with a config file. Some even give me an options list of 4, 6, 8 or 10+ cylinders to chose from. When I pick 8 cylinders from the list of files it just throws an Italian hissy fit saying "Unable to load".
I'll just have to hope that whatever has taken my LPG power away hasn't wiped the old config. If it has, I'm completely screwed!
I guess I could buy with cash money the version 5 that Zavoli are offering me, on condition it has the ability, from the box, to load 8 cylinders!
As far as USB to serial drivers, I'm using the same Molex/ Serial/USB connector and drivers that my current OMVL Millennium (on the old car) connects quite happily to the laptop with.
Positively and completely fed up with getting cold and tired now. Space heater has now developed a habit of tripping earth protection in workshop when I turn it off, plunging me into darkness and crashing computers, routers etc.
Not a happy bunny!

Martyuk wrote:

I've just loaded up my version of the Zavoli software, and by default it will show only 3/4 cylinder options, with no ECU connected.
I can go back in to the main menu and load a previous configuration which is 5-6-8 cylinder, and then go back into the vehicle options and it then shows 8 cylinders.
If you haven't already saved a 5-6-8 cylinder file (which you probably won't have if you've never had it connected) then it won't let you (that I can see) make a 5-6-8 cylinder config.
However if you were to be able to connect to the ECU, then it would download the current settings from the ECU and it would show up in the vehicle settings as being an 8 cylinder install.
Have you ever had it connected to the ECU? Silly question, but the USB-serial cable that's used to connect to the ECU... have the correct drivers been installed for it? Windows sometimes installs generic USB-serial drivers, but they need to be the actual ones that come with the software.

Swap you for a set of iSCSI storage arrays that have failed in a new, wonderful way and taken out lots of important stuff on their way down. OK, I'm warm and dry but I'm shitting bricks right now. It's taken me six hours to beat VMWare into shape to start receiving restore jobs. Payroll on Monday - this could make me very unpopular!

Morat wrote:

Swap you for a set of iSCSI storage arrays that have failed in a new, wonderful way and taken out lots of important stuff on their way down. OK, I'm warm and dry but I'm shitting bricks right now. It's taken me six hours to beat VMWare into shape to start receiving restore jobs. Payroll on Monday - this could make me very unpopular!

Veeam? I LOVE Veeam.

I'm genuinely amazed our main storage array hasn't shat itself in a multitude of fear-inducing ways yet... I'm also incredibly thankful that it hasn't.

OB, stop fretting and making everything seem so doom and gloom. The LPG ECU won't have lost any settings, they can be left on a shelf with no power for years without losing settings. It has run on LPG in the past and there's nothing to say it won't now (as long as it gets power). If you get it running properly on petrol, the existing settings saved in the controller will make it work on gas. The settings may not be optimum but they are likely to be pretty close. It's only sad buggers that like to fiddle that even have the software, most users just get in and drive. If the stored settings are slightly out, the petrol ECU will adjust the fuel trims to get the mixture correct on gas.

Yep, VEEAM is worth every penny and more. Off-brand SATA disk arrays on the other hand.... not so much. Of course, the budget meeting to approve their replacement is on Wednesday. If I make it that far!

Just a phase I'm going through Gilbertd. I'll be through it soon.

Gilbertd wrote:

OB, stop fretting and making everything seem so doom and gloom.

There must be a bad connection somewhere past where I checked yesterday, cos when I had car running today (not idling, but running anyway- other thread) the petrol/ lpg light would occasionally come on. I caught it when on and tried pressing the gas demand button. Gas flashed, tank contents showed then lights all went out again.
As in other thread, left ign in pos 2 when petrol light was on, plugged in laptop using 4.6,1 and got a message asking if I wanted to save config, which I did. Turned off ignition. Restarted 4.6.1 only to be given the 3 or 4 cylinder option and "no saved configuration message".
Getting somewhere, just not sure where yet.
Got a reported P1000 IACV problem- blocked signal too low, and P0505 Airflow to throttle angle cross check fault to sort first, before I can drive it. At the moment it's hyper sensitive to throttle input,
Still, positively it runs, doesn't leak or overheat so not all bad news. Allowed myself an early finish today!

Morat's point was worth mentioning when he did, the programs do only show 3/4cyl options unless talking to an 8/10cyl ECU.

As there's power on the red/white, are battery live and earth good? And if so, are those earth connections underneath the ECU plug cover good and no corrosion on ECU pins? Was the ECU chassis previously earthed / is it now?

I'm sure you'll be right on the error codes... Just that a common definition of P1000 is 'check cycle not complete', a constant code on Jags after engine start until cycle is completed during current run cycle even without the battery having been disconnected, occurs on other vehicles when battery has been disconnected. Some older vehicles lose IACV calibration when battery is off, especially pre2000 Jeeps. Could also see potential for airflow versus throttle angle related codes occurring until IACV calibration is relearned.. But is TPS working properly?

Simon

I didn't explain fully above when I said:
"As in other thread, left ign in pos 2 when petrol light was on, plugged in laptop using 4.6,1 and got a message asking if I wanted to save config, which I did. Turned off ignition. Restarted 4.6.1 only to be given the 3 or 4 cylinder option and "no saved configuration message"."
I should have added that the 8 cylinder option appeared in the configuration that I was asked if I wanted to save, thought I'd saved (even had a progress bar) but when running 4.6.1 offline again it told me there were no saved configurations and I was back to 3 or 4 cylinders from the choices.
Just have to find out where the intermittent connection is to LPG ECU now. I'm guessing that when I solve that conundrum the whole world of 8 cylinder LPG config will open up to me!
The adaptives were reset by me as soon as I started the car on petrol and it wanted to idle at 2500 rpm! As you say, there are a number of driving cycles on RR's before they settle down, but I can't do any of them until I have a car that I can drive at a speed of my choice, rather than the cars!
Battery connections and grounds are good. Cleaned body grounds while I had reducer off. Will test comprehensively when I fit the new/ original engine ECU and BECM sometime this week.
TPS and wiring has an appointment with multimeter tomorrow, as does IACV. I'll be checking back to the engine ECU 'cos the guy who sold me the car said that the RAC had to clean the engine ECU connector to get it to start!
I have to remind myself, it did pass an MOT on emissions etc the week I bought it, so it is capable of running right...

If it's saved the configuration file to your hard drive, you should be able to go to 'load configuration' in the main screen of the software ( once you've you've cleared the can't connect warnings) and then there's a selection box with 3-4cyl in it, which is click able to change selection to 5-6-8-10cyl which should then show up the configuration file it saved.

It won't automatically load it when the software starts, if you just go back into the vehicle configuration page, it will default back to the 3/4cyl default options

The fact that I had it briefly means that I can get it again. Need to get stable power (switched and unswitched) to LPG brain. Easy enough to monitor as I can stick a couple of multimeters into the circuits, once I've worked out how to get into the main plug that fits into the top of the LPG ECU. (The bit with all the purple clip looking things) Have pressed, pulled, squeezed but resisted levering! Ideas? I've never worked with this stuff before...

enter image description here

That purple bit of the plug sides along which releases the connector. You pull it from the big end like shown in this picture: enter image description here

Cheers Jacckk! Just have to get its black platic cover off then, but I'm guessing that's just got clipped lugs on it.

The black wirecover slides too, in loomdirection to release...