rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Thanks for the info on Dropbox, I realise I was lazy to ask and am getting a bit too much out of touch with computers/IT/internet considering how much I used to be involved with them.

How it should work - Unless the switch lights up the ECU might not talk to the laptop anyway, but if the switch has been lit in the last several minutes it will, or if it has just had main power feeds connected it will. But unless there is 12v on the red/white, while you might be able to connect you won't see any readings such as temperatures/pressures etc.

As memory serves, at least in case of OMVL (and would imagine the same will apply to other AEB systems) there were mostly little changes between most 4.X software, except for pre and post v4.7, where 4.7 was necessary to connect to later versions of one of the suffixes. I'm sure a chat with a tech support guy/ex tech support guy such as Tinleytech/Dai Brace (classicswede on Lpgforum) would clear up what version should work with what suffix, because they will have been used to answering many questions on this specific point.. memory should serve them better on it..

Still, will be surprised if you can't connect using a version of software you already have.

Simon

Before it all went dead and quiet, he was able to connect with a couple of different versions of the software but on the Config page, all of them only gave the option of 3 or 4 cylinders, not 5,6 or 8 as you would expect with a 2568 controller. Now I don't think it should matter too much as that is only for setting the rpm so by fiddling with the ignition type, it should be possible to set 4 cylinders and get it showing the correct rpm. But does it mean that it will only show him 4 injectors and not a full set?

As Simon said in an earlier reply:

"Although it is termed sequential, on a B suffix it probably only reads petrol injector pulse duration from the front cylinder in each bank and bases gas pulse duration for all cylinders on the bank on only this reading, in which case it doesn't match the modern definition of truly sequential (wait for petrol pulse on each cylinder before beginning LPG injection pulse on that cylinder), but this isn't an issue on a P38."

Could this be why it's only showing 3 or 4 cylinders- if it's only picking up pulse duration from 2 cylinders? Actually that poses myself another question. If that is the case shouldn't it be showing a 2 cylinder option? I'm trying to learn as fast as I can about this stuff, just about mastered single point, but now at bottom of learning curve again!

Erm... would the transposed plug leads 6 and 4 affect the power to the LPG by any (very faint) chance?

The B suffix ECUs aren't new enough to show individual injector pulse duration in the diagnostics screen.The point I made earlier on these ECUs reading only front cylinder petrol duration applies (nod to one of Orangebean's points above) and perhaps applies even more so than on even slightly later boards, because it also probably isn't possible to switch individual cylinders back to petrol.

On only reading petrol injection from 2 cylinders, no... Because this isn't in agreement with the above / even on the latest ECUs you can set number of cylinders to whatever you want (will just return an error if it doesn't see all petrol injector pulses in this case, unless you set Hemi mode which should really read 'engine is capable of cylinder deactivation'), and also because you should be able to set number of cylinders to whatever you want without even running the engine / without even connecting any wiring except for providing it with main power.

I reckon the reason you only got option for 3/4 cylinders was due to running in 64 bit Windows... Again as said before, the only AEB software that seems totally happy in 64bit are some of the V6 versions and not all of those, this occurrence is far from the strangest I've seen!

What versions of software connected before?

What's this about plug leads?

Simon

As well as having no power to the LPG system, it was misfiring, popping and banging and generally running like a dog on petrol. That's what happens when you get the HT leads for cylinders 4 and 6 arse about face.......

Wouldn't stop the LPG system from powering up though.

Simon
I'm embarrassed to point you to:
https://rangerovers.pub/topic/305-resurrection-vogue-se-a?page=6#pid4843 post #116
I must admit when it connected before it was on an ancient Acer laptop which was running 32 Bit XP Media Centre. Unfortunately the hard drive on that one packed up and I donated it to the other half for use as a prop in a production she's Set Designer for :(
I'm going to have to hunt down an ancient laptop and a 32bit copy of XP then. That's a tall order. Off to eBay, I suppose.
Oddly the current laptop connects quite happily to the single point Leonardo system on the blue one but that was installed in 2009.
Worst case, I think my workshop XP PC is 32 bit Media Centre, so with an extension lead I can try something on that :)
Need to get power back to the LPG system first though...
EDIT- Gilbertd beat me to pointing out my stupidity!

Hehe, that's what I thought you meant (without seeing other thread), but then I thought... no wouldn't make that mistake ;-)

Win7 32 bit is a good bet on newer machines, most drivers are usually available (for the laptop itself) for modern laptops for win7. On this laptop I have Win10 64bit, Win7 32bit and XP 32bit.... Never managed to get drivers for XP but no probs for Win7.

Simon

Again on my circa 2008 Zavoli system... But I have no issue running the software on my laptop, which is Windows 7 Professional, 64bit or connecting to and communicating with the LPG ECU.

I think you should be looking for something in the vehicle that's causing it rather than the machine you are trying to connect to it with at the moment.

I know XP/32bit is sometimes better or needed for some things, but using the USB cable, no problem on 64bit windows 7

Hypothetically speaking, or speaking from experience though Marty... I'm not guessing, recent practical experience, and I'm not saying it has to be XP to be right... I wish I had taken some screen shots of the weird behaviour of some software, in some circumstances, in 64bit though. Stuff/apparent settings I've seen must have been dropped under development, never seen in any properly working AEB software. I have touched on this topic on LPG forum before and even argued the toss with Tinleytech about it.

Lighter note - Would have thought AEB software writers would have learned how to spell the word 'High' by now.. In every version of software since I've been installing, which goes back to before the B suffix ECUs came out, have spelled 'Higth' hehe!

Simon

Actual, real world experience. It's the machine that I actually used to connect to and talk to my LPG ECU in the RR.

I have other machines with 32bit windows 7, and one old Dell laptop with window XP 32bit aswell, as some other software I use doesn't like 64bit - but LPG software or the drivers for the USB cable to connect to the ECU itself have never been an issue.

I can now confirm that I definitely and certainly have Windows XP Home 32 bit edition installed on the samsung N110 laptop that I use.
Now to get the coil packs in, the loom fixed, the car running on petrol and then get on with the LPG not powering up mystery. There are no leads or connectors that I can see under the upper plenum where the petrol injection wiring lives around #1 or #2 injectors that are connected to the LPG system. The plot thickens...
I'm going to start with software by installing 4.6.1 as it's Jan 2006 (nearest the installation date for my system)and I have the install and software manuals for it. We'll see what happens then...

There has to be the injector cut wires somewhere and that is almost certainly where the red/white wire for the LPG system is picking up the ignition switched supply. Each injector has a common power wire and a signal wire from the petrol ECU. This signal wire has to be intercepted so the petrol injector pulses go via the LPG controller (so the controller can use them to fire the LPG injectors and to disconnect the petrol injectors). If you only have one wire going into the petrol ECU then the injector cuts must be done at the petrol injectors. This is often done using a supplementary loom with a male and female petrol injector plug. You disconnect the original petrol injector plug, plug that into the female socket on the loom and the corresponding male plug goes onto the petrol injector. Do you have far too many plugs under there?

Far too many, but I dont know what too many looks like. Stick around for 10 mins and I'll try to get a pic...

Pics as promised. Looks like I MAY have a piggyback connector on each injector. What do you think? What should I test? Images are all Bank 1 cos not so much LPG stuff in the way

enter image description here

Yes you have a piggy back loom. The original petrol injector plugs go into sockets on that loom which goes to the LPG controller and then comes back with plugs that go to the petrol injectors. Ordinarily, the plugs on the factory loom would go straight to the petrol injectors. On one bank, there will simply be 8 wires in the loom going back to the LPG controller, a flow and return for the injector pulse signal using the plumbing analogy. On the other bank there will be these 8 wires and an additional wire which will pick up the common ignition switched supply from the other side of one of the injectors.

So I'll be looking for this wire and checking for switched 12v then?

"and an additional wire which will pick up the common ignition switched supply from the other side of one of the injectors".

Right- found the mystery white/ red 9th wire (#1 cyl) connected back through the loom to LPG ECU. I'm looking for 12v switched AT the LPG ECU ie coming from that cable yes?
Is it OK to switch ignition on with most of the engine ancilliaries disconnected (TPS, MAF, IACV etc)? Won't destroy anything or de-sync BECM/ECU cos I have NO codes to re sync anything with currently fitted "brains"

Well, I went for it. Car didn't explode and I DO have 12.3v (vBatt) ignition switched at that cable, so at least I can now get the upper plenum back on and petrol side tested...
Bet I've got a stack of interesting error codes logged in the Motronic ECU now!

I've had maybe most versions of AEB software work in 64bit, sometimes works properly, sometimes works with issues as described above, sometimes doesn't work. I wouldn't by default restart my laptop in 32bit to run what might be a problem combination of software and OS but have had to do so on many occasions. The 3/4 cylinder scenario reads like a case of worked with issues.

Won't break anything, will pick a few OBD codes up though! Yes you're looking for 12v on that wire as it enters the LPG ECU. You could run the test in reverse, i.e. temporarily cut the wire and apply 12v to the LPG ECU side of the cut, LPG system should wake up and the switch should light for a short time.

I only ever used piggy back looms on a couple of my conversions, they hardly make for a neat install but that aside, the occasional P38 has one injector wired with opposite polarity to the other injectors... not a problem normally but if you use a piggy back loom this means the LPG ECU breaks the positive connection to the effected injector rather than the negative. None of this is relevant to your problems but where it applies - with an older AEB ECU it can lead to the system switching OK to LPG but preventing you from switching back to petrol again, with a newer AEB ECU (that has it's own OBD) it leads to the LPG ECU seeing the lack of injector pulse as an error but you can get around this by disabling LPG OBD error reporting (which also disables the switch back to petrol response), with an even newer AEB ECU that is truly sequential it leads to the related LPG injector not pulsing even if the Hemi tickbox is ticked.

Simon