rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
Joined: Jan 07 2016
Posts: 144

Ahhh,
I suspect then that the rear lenses have been changed as all of the Rangies I have owned, or seen on the road or at the breakers yards have had clear lenses and amber bulbs. Must be a DOT thing?
As this truck has also been re sprayed, they must have bought Canadidian lenses for it as well?
As for shift? Yep, goes into Low and back no issues, just very little fuss. No flashing lights, no beep, and just a clunk and a single letter indication of H or L on the dash.
Consistently inconsistent! That's the true Range Rover tradition!
Happy Holidays all!
Heading out the door for another 1500 mile R/T in our trusty Bolt to So Cal for Family madness..........

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4331

If you've only ever owned post 99 cars then they will all have had the clear/grey lenses. A lot of people swap the earlier ones for the later ones as they assume they look better. My 96 Ascot has had them swapped so it would have originally had the amber lenses but now has the later ones.

Member
Joined: Mar 22 2016
Posts: 1178

Bolt wrote:

Ahhh,
I suspect then that the rear lenses have been changed as all of the Rangies I have owned, or seen on the road or at the breakers yards have had clear lenses and amber bulbs. Must be a DOT thing?
As this truck has also been re sprayed, they must have bought Canadidian lenses for it as well?
As for shift? Yep, goes into Low and back no issues, just very little fuss. No flashing lights, no beep, and just a clunk and a single letter indication of H or L on the dash.
Consistently inconsistent! That's the true Range Rover tradition!
Happy Holidays all!
Heading out the door for another 1500 mile R/T in our trusty Bolt to So Cal for Family madness..........

Have a good one 👍

Member
Joined: Jan 07 2016
Posts: 144

Gilbertd wrote:

If you've only ever owned post 99 cars then they will all have had the clear/grey lenses. A lot of people swap the earlier ones for the later ones as they assume they look better. My 96 Ascot has had them swapped so it would have originally had the amber lenses but now has the later ones.

I have had 95, 2x97,99, and 2x02 and all pre 99 had clear, whilst the 99 and 02s have light grey smoked lenses.
Over the years, I have hunted a few replacements at the breakers and have not seen amber till this one.....
Like to think I am moderately observant, so this one is bugging me. What does the mighty Microcat have to say for part numbers?

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4331

Microcat just makes it even more confusing......
RH rear light lenses up to VIN XA430701 is AMR4100 which has the amber indicators
RH rear light lenses up to VIN XA430701 NAS spec is AMR4102 which also has the amber indicators (and from pictures looks identical to AMR4100)
RH rear light lenses from VIN YA430702 is XFB101720 which has the clear/grey indicators
RH rear light lenses up to VIN YA430702 NAS spec is XFB101740 which also has the clear/grey indicators (and from pictures looks identical to XFB101720)

So quite why an NAS spec car would have different light units, that look identical to the rest of world spec cars, I have absolutely no idea. Maybe the difference is in the bulb holders on the back or maybe the NAS ones don't have the built in reflector?

I gave up trying to work out the logic of car manufacturers long ago. As an example, an EU spec car must have a high intensity rear fog light that can be a single one on the offside (RH side on a UK car) or in the centre, or a matched pair on either side. A LHD Mercedes (and Porsche and probably a few others too) has one on the LH side (offside for a LHD car) but the cluster fitted on the RHS of the car doesn't have the LEDs fitted inside it. So by fitting the cluster for a RHD car to the RH side of a LHD car, you get the matched pair. So rather than making a LH and a RH cluster, they make ones with and without the LEDs fitted so there's 4 different parts when 2 would do the job.

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

Engine bay is coming long

enter image description here

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1858

Top Work!

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

Thanks Morat!!

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

Never a dull moment ;)

enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here

Love the blue

Member
Joined: Nov 16 2016
Posts: 975

Very tidy looking @Strangerover :-)

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

Thanks!

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

enter image description here

Member
Joined: Apr 23 2019
Posts: 464

In a bid to stop this thread turning into an exclusive gallery of a certain Monte Carlo blue RR, here are my two:

enter image description here

Member
Joined: Feb 25 2020
Posts: 96

wow that is a nice stable!

I think I will also add a note of a different color .... my beauty in green ... but I do not have any current "whole" photos so ....

enter image description here

After a looot of lingering and money wasted (I am gearing up for the "biggest cock up" topic, I think I have good chances of winning a respectable prize there :-/ ) I've finally came across a non-runner (engine no compression) '99 4.6 with a nice body and interior for a cheap price and at only 10km from my workplace and could not let it go ... here it is with my current workhorse taking it "home"

enter image description here

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4331

In another effort to stop this turning into the Show us Strangerovers Range Rover, here's mine. The ex-plod has been on here plenty of times, although usually a bit dirtier than it is at the moment (getting desperate when cleaning the car is a viable way of spending a Bank Holiday) but making it's pub début is the Ascot. Now numerous people have told me that a P38 Ascot Edition didn't exist and it is probably a standard 4.6 HSE that has had an Ascot badge from a Classic stuck to it, but I have been reliably informed that it is one that was missed out of the James Taylor book and there really was a P38 Ascot Limited Edition and as such is very rare. It's obviously not how it came from the factory having had the post 2000 light units fitted which it wouldn't have had when produced in '96. Colour is Altai Silver metallic with pale blue leather interior and fitted with every option that I'm aware it would have had, sunroof, headlamp wash/wipe, front fogs, electric memory heated seats, cruise control and sitting on 18" Triple Sport wheels.

enter image description here

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 461

Gilbertd wrote:

In another effort to stop this turning into the Show us Strangerovers Range Rover, here's mine. The ex-plod has been on here plenty of times, although usually a bit dirtier than it is at the moment (getting desperate when cleaning the car is a viable way of spending a Bank Holiday) but making it's pub début is the Ascot. Now numerous people have told me that a P38 Ascot Edition didn't exist and it is probably a standard 4.6 HSE that has had an Ascot badge from a Classic stuck to it, but I have been reliably informed that it is one that was missed out of the James Taylor book and there really was a P38 Ascot Limited Edition and as such is very rare. It's obviously not how it came from the factory having had the post 2000 light units fitted which it wouldn't have had when produced in '96. Colour is Altai Silver metallic with pale blue leather interior and fitted with every option that I'm aware it would have had, sunroof, headlamp wash/wipe, front fogs, electric memory heated seats, cruise control and sitting on 18" Triple Sport wheels.

enter image description here

That "95 has the front end off of a 2000MY model..

Masked headlights
The fogs have the elliptical graphic
The Front bumper lower section is painted which was reserved for the Vogue

I think it has the front end off a Vogue...

Nice looking motors!

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4331

As I said, it's had 2000 model lights fitted with the clear indicators (including side repeaters), masked headlights and the later style fog lights. AFAIK there wasn't a Vogue in '96, that didn't appear until much later, so the painted lower section may well have been the difference between an Ascot and a standard HSE. It's missing the RH front mudflap and from the brackets underneath at some stage in it's life it's had sidesteps too (brackets are still there on one side but not the other). It's also got the HK High Line audio system but when I got it the head unit was dead so I sent it to Clarion and it came back fully working, with the code removed and with a line in added. I've got the service history for it from new until 2010 when it had done 133,000 miles and it is now at 175,000. It was first registered 02/02/96 as N111ASG, in 2000 it became H1YLD but a year later it was B16WYT before being given it's current age related plate of N352MPV in 2004, although for a short time in 2010 it was K5GGY before reverting back to the standard plate. As far as I can tell, other than the light units (and the drivers seat base which I replaced), it is original. LPG conversion was done in 2002 at 85,000 miles by Hammond Land Rover but most components were replaced not long before I got it as it wasn't working. Seems I was the first person to notice the centre of the mixer was missing so it never was going to work......

All I've done on both is sprayed the bumpers, grille and strip below the headlights with bumper black paint rather than the faded grey that is standard (did the side rubbing strips and sill covers on the ex-plod too). I wish I had the patience of some of you guys to get stuck in with polish and potions but I'm afraid I draw the line at washing them.

Member
Joined: Apr 23 2019
Posts: 464

Nice to see people's cars, although I'm not sure that description stretches to Leo's shell :-) I can see why you'd give up and go and buy a completely different one lol. You're a brave man, Leo

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1858

romanrob wrote:

In a bid to stop this thread turning into an exclusive gallery of a certain Monte Carlo blue RR, here are my two:

enter image description here

And very nice they are two. Did you use actual tape to blank out the number plates? :)

I'll have to post up a pic of my green machine soon - but the Monte Carlo effect has scared me off for now!