rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Anyone had the door locks lock/unlock when you press the tailgate button?

Today, we've gone from this...

enter image description here

via this...

To this...

There, that's better.

Went on a treat as well. Lifted up, pushed and everything lined up lovely.

So that's front and rear bumpers done, new rear light lenses on, so she's looking tidy outside. At least until the next sidecar hits it.

Time to start on the inside now.

Watched my wife drive over a football that had been left underneath the front left. That was quite a loud bang!
"Was it a tyre??"
"Err, no. How could it be a tyre when you're sitting level??"

nevermind - £10 from amazon prime for a new football.

Removed all the scratches and chip and polished vogue scrubbed all the carpets only job left is to get my mate Dave do all the seats and armrest on doors then all finished with

Installed the Safari lights a few weeks ago. Lots of driving in 90F degree weather and no increase in temps. The LR stickers at the top of the lights did fall off though, I could use a new set if anyone knows where to pick some up.

@kulter, that’s a very tidy P38....

Coming from you with that beautiful Linley, that is a very high compliment. Really appreciate it!

After our 'discussion' on the other side, that isn't at all what I was expecting to see Jesse. Very, very nice.

Thanks Gilbert

New Hankook battery arrived lunch time yesterday. An hour and a half later it was installed "OK" (ish) with windows and radio re-set.

Took longer than it should have because I had to service the terminal connectors. Clearly just bashed on by the folk who installed the previous battery because the nuts were locked up so tight that I had to put the impact driver on to undo them whilst holding the connector in my biggest mole grips.

How hard is it to see how the things work? Battery terminal tapered, connector innards tapered, split in the connector with a male taper above the split so female tapered washer under the nut closes it all up tight. Objectively its lunatic over clever engineering but it does make for a really good contact. Poxy hammer mechanics.

Todays job is to re-shape the strap so it sits down properly over the battery. Its about 1/8" too narrow.

Installation apart I can't really complain about the "old tyre place special" battery. 7 years seems a good life although when it died it did so frighteningly quickly. Hopped in Friday morning for 12 mile run up to the hospital for a pre-op assessment. Got the spurious gearbox, abs et al fault warnings and an unenthusiastic start. Same warnings on start up to come home but a bit more starting oomph. Charger went on for all of Saturday at around 6 amps. Wires hot when I pulled it off to go to a Covid test appointment. No start, barely turned over.

Panic.

Dragged out the big, battered, Sealy Starter Charger box I rescued from a skip getting on for 40 years ago. Figured it would come in handy so £12 (ish) to replace the broken switch seemed reasonable. Didn't expect to wait that long for to use it for the first time but it did come in handy. Neighbour borrowed it 15 years ago so thats twice in 40 odd years. Worth the shelf space. Spun the big V8 over "just-like-that". Impressed. Off for the test making sure not to stop the engine. Unimpressed by the process!

Back home, parked up, opened the door and stopped the engine. Thought I'd try a restart. Not even enough power left to light up the fake faults correctly. All in all I figure I was a little lucky.

Clive

Removed heat shields from manifolds, was a tough job but Land Rover special tool No1 worked well.

Changed the poxy autobox oil cooler and pipes which took about 16 bloody hrs crawling under the car. A job I don't ever want to do again..

Also did filter change which highlighted the fact the dipstick spigot had a hairline crack so ordered a new sump. Grrrr Bodge it until new one arrived and fitted it on tue ready for trip to Yorkshire.

Also discovered the pin that sits on the gearbox selector cable trunion is worn causing gear selection problems. New one ordered from lr. Quite cheap too.

Something for the weekend, Sir?

I sat on the tailgate and broke one of the straps - lovely and rusty.
Are the Britpart ones OK? Island have them at a tenner each, which would make it worth doing both of them.
I semi-remember hearing that the replacements don't have the pivot - does this matter in practice?

They tend to rust and break at one end when the bearing seizes as the steel cable is bent back and forth every time you open it. As long as the replacements have the bearing, they will be fine. I think I have fitted Britpart in the past and they have had the bearing

Super, thank you!
I shall start the PlusGas treatment in advance.

Morat wrote:

Super, thank you!
I shall start the PlusGas treatment in advance.
I have had the britpart ones on for a good long while..

if they can sand my 6"6 18st frame, then i'd say they're quality!

18st is a distant memory for me :(

Nabbed a nice Janspeed Exhaust for the old girl!

Had quick overheat so fitted new thermostat and did new hoses too so now all looks and goes as good as newThen got on with changing to moroso rocker covers on Buick 300 engine