rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I'll be sure to make one Morat!!

I too prefer the cleaner look of the single exit exhausts, the quads look odd in my opinion.

But it's a Vogue, it should waft along silently.......

It has all the mufflers still Richard.

Only difference being you'll know it is a V8!!

I agree with Henry, it should sound like a V8. The P38 does, but the Disco still has the LR mufflers.

we wants to hear it!!! must be awesome!

I love the silent waft, with a bit of overpressure to remind you that there's a big engine. But hey, each to their own :)

Fitment finalised..

It sits really well now..

Sounds the part too!

enter image description here

Tried tracking down an oil leak. It's always been a bit oily underneath but just recently it has got worse to the point where it was dropping oil on the floor. At £50 for 4 litres I don't want to be throwing it around the place too much and having to keep topping it up. Anyway, it's got the MoT due at the end of this month and then has around 6,000 miles to do in September so I'd like it to be as good as I can get it. Most of the oil seemed to be dripping off the starter motor and the back of the engine so I wiped it off yesterday and took it for a short run. Back home and there's oil dribbling down the starter motor and on the back of the engine and it seemed to be coming from higher up and worse on the RH side.. Figured it must be the rocker cover gaskets so, as I had a brand new pair in the garage, decided to change them. Did that yesterday and the back of the heads were a bit oily, so thought that maybe I had found the leak, wiped the oil off and went for another short run. Still the same. Wiped it off this morning, in the vain hope that maybe it was residual oil that was still dripping down and went to pick up my ramps. Got back, still oil dripping off the starter and back of the engine.

Got the front end up on ramps, suspension on high and got underneath with the pressure washer and Mr Screwfix's industrial grade degreaser. Having got the underside cleaner than the outside (it needs another wash), took the cover off the bottom of the flywheel so I could see if it was coming from the rear main seal and started the engine while laying under it. Watched carefully thinking that maybe it was coming from the oil pressure switch or somewhere at the front and the fan was blowing it back. Nope, after running for about 5 minutes a little dribble of oil appeared running down the starter motor between the motor itself and starter solenoid but nothing visible further forward.

OK, so it isn't coming from the rocker cover gaskets so that only leaves the valley gasket seals. Found a mirror so I could get a look down the back and it was dry. So off with the starter and see if I could see where it was coming from.

And the verdict is......

It was leaking from the bloody head gasket! A dribble of oil could clearly be seen running down the side of the block and had been dripping onto the starter.

It's done over 110k miles since V8 Developments rebuilt the engine for me but I put the heads on hence me suspecting rocker covers or valley gasket as they were done by me not them. But so were the head gaskets......

Fortunately I had a pair of brand new Elring gaskets in the garage so I've change both (because they were both put on at the same time and by the same bloke, me) and hopefully, if Rimmers next day delivery if ordered before 3pm works, I'll have a valley gasket here tomorrow so I can get it all back together. Either that or I pinch Dina's SLK on Friday as I need to be somewhere.....

Sounds like you are going for a record HG change there, Richard

Once the inlet manifold is off, it's only a pair of 4 cylinder pushrod engines, may as well be a couple of Ford Anglia engines. People seem to think they are complicated but they're dead simple really. As long as the valley gasket arrives tomorrow, I'll be out in it by the evening. I've got to put 895 miles on it before the end of the month when it goes in for MoT. It's currently showing 399,105 and I want it to begin with a 4 by MoT time.

You work quick Richard..

Morat wrote:

Video!!! :)

I much prefer that look to the 4 pipe aftermarket ones.

https://youtu.be/BXUTWY6sJYg

That sounds nice, SR!

I keep looking at Double S ones as they're hidden out of the way and look original.

David.

Thanks David

If you want 100% OEM i'd opt for the Double S one!

If you do decide to order from Double S, there is a choice regarding the grade of stainless used.
With the cheapest option, the silencer boxes are usually made from 304 and the pipes from 409 grade.
409 is chosen because it is easy to form and easy to weld. The problem is the surface goes rusty. It won't rust through, but if you want nice shiny pipes on show it doesn't look too good. I know, stainless pipes that rust !!
When I spoke to them on the phone they said they could make them out of anything you wanted. The ultimate would be mirror finish 316 boxes and pipes, I guess. They do them for show cars and specials I believe, for a price that is.
Stainless pipes is one thing I would buy secondhand.

I picked her Ladyship up from town and saw 31C on the HEVAC. An unusually hot day in Yorkshire!

Added a smelly pot of joy and wonderment...

enter image description here![enter image description here](https://i.imgur.com/mnEXYAG.jpg "enter image title here")
recharging the rover with the sun
prefer the view from inside

ahh now that looks better

Anyone need any nuts? After noticing the boot on the drag link was split when I was under the front changing the steering box, I ordered a Lemforder replacement from Island 4x4. There was a note saying that it didn't come with new nuts and they needed ordering separately, so I ordered 2. Got an email from Sam at Island to say they were out of stock of Lemforder but could supply either a Moog or Sidem (which in the description says it is made by Moog anyway). Emailed back saying that they were the same price and as long as they didn't send me a Britpart I wasn't too bothered. It arrived today, a Moog. But, unlike the Lemforder it comes with new nuts. Not only that but the nuts are supplied in bags of 5 so I've got 10 brand new, never taken out of their packet, drag link and track rod nuts.....

Also pulled the passenger side heater blower out. A couple of days ago the output from the heater was feeble and the outdoor temperature was shown as 19 degrees when it was at least 28. Passenger side blower wasn't working so the colder air from the AC was being blown out the duct onto the external temperature sensor. Putting it onto recirculate improved things but it still wasn't good. Oddly, no book symbol or faults recorded when I checked with the Nano. Last time I had a blower out (drivers) I noticed the brushes were well worn so I'd ordered some replacements (same as most other Valeo motors used in Citroen, Peugeot, Mercedes, BMW, and a few others) and they arrived today too. Unsoldered the old brushes and soldered the new one in place. Running it from a variable current, 12V supply, it didn't seem to be running that smoothly and sparks could be seen from one of the brushes. Figuring the commutator was a bit dirty and the brush just needed to bed in a bit, gave it a squirt of contact cleaner. Not a good idea as it appears contact cleaner is flammable and the sparks ignited it. So there's me holding a motor spinning at quite a rate with flames coming out of it. So, after recovering it from the flower border where it had ended up after I'd dropped it, had a closer look. Commutator was burnt in one place so not all poles were working and the reason why it had stopped the other day was because it had obviously come to rest on the dodgy part. Fortunately I had another motor with completely worn out brushes so swapped them over and this one ran much smoother. Then pulled the drivers blower, checked that, fitted new brushes and job done. So reliable fans now too.