rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

if you are gluing strips on , are they the foam type like the stuff on wind shields, if they are you need a prepping fluid . they use it when vinyl wrapping cars etc . its a 3M product

Thanks for the practical advice guys. I have now stuck wheel arch extensions to one side of the car. One section at a time, inbetween downpours.
The extensions are the factory polyurethane ones, made of the same type of pu foam as the factory bull bars.
Tigerseal is the recommended pu adhesive but only for use professionally. It is nasty stuff and gets everywhere if you are not careful.
It is an isocyanate and cures with moisture.
I think my problem was that the Tigerseal was too runny when I stuck the section on. It is taking 60 to 90 mins to grip so needs clamping from the start.
T-cut is OK for the prep, I think. It cuts through the car wax and grime down to fresh paint surface. It leaves a film however, as mentioned, but it just needs a final wipe or two with solvent. Either rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or meths.
Anyway, got the hang of it now. Just the other side to do. The extensions also nicely cover up a couple of areas around the wheel archs where the clear lacquer had flaked off.
I noticed I said Tigerseal cleans up with brake fluid in one of my earlier posts. Don't use brake fluid. I should have said brake cleaner.
Brake cleaner is OK for removing smudges on body panel paintwork.

I'd love a set for mine, but they're comical prices 2nd hand..

how do they look?

Not mine but Tom (tking88) bought his car to me yesterday. Fitted a window regulator, RH front height sensor, removed a lot of extra EAS pipework for a manual inflation system that had no many joints it was a leak waiting to happen, calibrated the EAS, fitted a diesel hot start box and had a look at all the things he'd been told needed doing. Rather than every ball joint on the front end needing replacing, only one had the tiniest bit of play (so little that most MoT testers wouldn't even notice it). The front air springs that allegedly were in dire need of being replaced are in better nick than the ones on my Ascot (and they were replaced two years ago) and the leaking rear axle seal looks more like brake fluid was spilt when the brakes were worked on and was a dark stain rather than a leak. Cleaned it off with brake cleaner and Tom is going to keep an eye on it but I don't expect it to come back.

So then we got stuck into some cosmetics. Changed the steering wheel for a refurbed wood and leather one, pulled the instrument cluster out and swapped the fuel gauge for one with a needle so he now knows how much fuel he has in it then got stuck in with fitting a Parrot hands free system which involved stuffing an awful lot of wiring behind the dash. If the Parrot loom had been 6 inches longer the unit could have been fitted neatly behind the knee panel but it isn't. Had a little problem with the radio after it was reconnected (see https://rangerovers.pub/topic/2202-alphinr-head-unit-unresponsive-last-known-settings) but that has cleared itself after it has been left overnight and it's now working as it should. Finally, fitted proper lightstone leather covered centre console sides in place of the grey ones that had been painted lightstone.

Strangerover, here is a pic.
I am going to put my bullbars and winch back on and I might change the mirrors to all black, which are more practical.

enter image description here

Just leave a search running on Ebay and you will be E-mailed when some come up.

Looks ace, defo gonna look out for a set

i spent all day repairing my exhaust , removed one from another vehicle and put it on mine , it actually fitted would you believe. this must be the worst job you can do without a hoist IMHO

I reckon an exhaust is dead easy with the suspension on high. But I must admit, having spent years working under cars, either a P38 with the suspension on high or anything else on ramps or axle stands, taking off and putting back my transfer case last week with the car up in the air I thought was far more uncomfortable than with it on the ground. Working with my hands above my head is a lot more comfortable when laying down than standing up.....

if you had a hoist of your own you would have a lifting frame for gearboxes and the very heavy TC which i have not had the pleasure of playing with yet and yes it would be one off those jobs. in comparison to other exhausts i have dealt with it was easier than some as i didn't remove the engine pipes, i didn't have to deal with rusty bolts on the manifolds, that can be a job in itself .

Had heater matrix o rings let go on vogue spent all day trying to get to it ---- after 8 hours still can't get it so seriously thinking of pulling the engine and scrapping it now I can't be taking whole dash out of the thing

What's causing the problem? With the side panel off the centre console, cut a hole in the plastic, and cut and remove the duct, then go in with a 300mm pozi 2 screwdriver with a blob of grinding paste on the tip to stop it riding out of the screwhead. See http://rrnet.gadsdenrovers.com/repairdetails/heateroring.html.

The hard bit is my right hand out of action and trying left hand instead ---- don't put fingers in way when replacing a cylinder head ---- maybe tomorrow get my brother to help me he not interested in cars BUT he got both hands working

That would make it a bit difficult. I've found that if the screw doesn't want to come undone at first, if you try tightening it first that usually cracks it free.

Symes wrote:

The hard bit is my right hand out of action and trying left hand instead ---- don't put fingers in way when replacing a cylinder head ---- maybe tomorrow get my brother to help me he not interested in cars BUT he got both hands working

If I was local I would do it for you. đź‘Ť

Got o rings done today --- my brother who is a biker& a mate came round to help me out ---- had a few laughs along the way ---- brother reckoned it's a well built machine --- my mate said words I wouldn't even think of let alone say --- funny when he had shower from pipes though --- aquavac worked overtime with the flooded wiring harness in channel by door

Dear All,
Change of tack here, i hope the pictures are self explanatory.
The raw materials
first attempt after plastic welding and a rough sand
and in position
will wire it into the cigarette lighter. I might try to see if i can wire in a green LED to light it.

Well not so much today, but over the last week .....

So on my way down to my brother’s place (7 hours south), I’m about 1:15 away from getting there ..... BANG!!

Big dent in the bonnet, car disappears in smoke, oil everywhere .....

Pulled up (had a copper behind me, he stopped too got out and said “that didn’t look good!”) popped the bonnet ..... no fan, no shroud, half a battery box, oil cooler line from transmission cut through as thought it had been with a knife, smashed PS reservoir, cut engine oil to cooler line, bonnet sound insulation in shreds, but (and I don’t know how) nothing on the cooling side was touched (must have been the fact I had literally picked up a full suite of hoses that morning before setting out).

So, on a tilt that for the rest of the journey (after having the local fire brigade turn up, along with the highway authority to put out signs and clean up the 300m oil slick) and commence the scurrying around for spares in the few days before Christmas.

Managed to get the truck running Christmas Eve. 5l of oil to refill the engine, 7l to refill the transmission. At this stage everything running as sweet as a nut, so hopefully, once I get a few more trim bits to replace the broken bits, all should be back to normal, then a little panel beating and a coat of black paint.

Lucky I guess.

Thanks to Mad_As for raiding his spares collection.

Me being a dumbass cracked the heater matrix 🙄 sooi yesterday spent a while undoing panels then cutting bracket ---- took me 2-3 hours as my right hand still out of action ( cylinder head does no good on fingers) Ah the joys of motoring 🤣

Ouch! The fan must have been cracked all along but I doubt you'll be able to find enough bits to have a good look at it.

Definitely ouch bonus tho nobody hurt or worse Glad everyone ok after that serious event