rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I have not long bought a phev. Had it about 2 months now. Sorry guys, it is not a Landrover model. It is a Volvo.

Still keeping the p38 though. I have the full diagnostics and a shed full of bits and I can find my way round the car.

Wife wanted a change from her little Fiesta and I talked her into part ex'ing it. I wanted a second car that would tow as a backup to the rangey.

Early days yet, but the car has been brilliant. This one is a diesel/electric hybrid, not so common.

Didn't really buy it to save the planet, more to save my wallet.

Interesting choice dave3d; Diesel AND Electric; God knows what the 'authorities' will do with that ! Keep us posted on developments

'Common Platorm' build is quite common now of course: If not a rude question why not just get the Volvo version ?

Yes, there are still EV Manufacturers who think (kids) 'pester power' will work as far as hybrid/sales are concerned.....

davew wrote:

No need to speculate (negatively/inaccurately) about Greta Lpgc, Just Google her !

And you do know she has Asbergers, right ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg
And I read this book yesterday: A collection of her speeches:
"Is my microphone on, can you hear me" ?....... indeed
https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Too-Small-Make-Difference/dp/0141991747
Yes a kid but a Smart Kid ; Watch Out !
And, finally, I would much rather listen to her than our so-called 'leaders' who (far too often) sound like spoilt/stupid kids....

I commented negatively but what did I say that was inaccurate?

It isn't politically correct to say this but seems to me having Aspergers is the reason she got her way with wagging school in the first place and likely in part why she got to address the UN. If a Youtuber who didn't have Aspergers but already had a million followers decided to take the same stance, do we think they'd get an audience with the UN even if they picked up extra followers?

If our own kids decided to demonstrate every Friday instead of going to school would/should we allow it? Or told us we had to become vegan, or we shouldn't buy anything that contains plastic (like nylon) or animal products (like silk / wool / leather) so should probably instead wear clothes made from straw?

Is my microphone on... As an ex DJ I wish I had a quid for every time I've heard that!

Could she be more extreme - Well, if we believe that the end is nigh due to emissions we should not only stop creating emissions ourselves but also do as much as we can to offset others (who don't believe) emissions. So even if we do create clean electricity we shouldn't use it ourselves but should instead give it away to the unclean others so they don't generate electricity in a way that is bad for the environment; Every kwh of clean electricity we produce and use could potentially be 1kwh not used and 1kwh or replacing unclean electricity with clean electricity if we are prepared to take the hit on quality of life. Which would she prefer and why?

Someone who reads her speeches, agrees with her and supports her cause will be scrapping their car, go vegan and not fly again at the very least?

In fact Lpgc most of your 'idle speculation' appears to have been innacurate .... or did you not actually read her Wiki entry (again) ?!....
Patently not, or your Aspergers comment would not have been made either.... She's simply not your 'standard' 16 year-old-kid....
How many others do you know who have been considered for a Nobel ?

Here's a problem for you though "You May Say/Speculate That She's A Dreamer - But She Is Not The Only One ! "......

I am not going to presume to reply to your further questions/speculations to her either: Send her a note, post the reply up here...
You'll See Lpgc !!

On a more general note however the 'microphone on' remark relates to Politicains hearing .... but not actually listening.....
and kids have (finally) noticed this too... and not just because eco-warriors like her have pointed it out either !

Speaking of Swedish things this is clost to what i expected the Dyson EV to be like:

https://wattev2buy.com/electric-vehicles/uniti-ev-models-uniti-electric-car-strategy/

"Uniti uses steer by wire technology", now there's a recipe for disaster if ever I heard of one.......

On the subject of Greta, she's no different to the thousands of other kids that have thought they know better over the years. The only difference is that she's got the advantage of the internet to spread her words to thousands of other kids that think they also know better. It gets to a certain point where they can't be ignored. So she managed to convince her parents to become vegan and give up air travel, so causing her mother to give up her career? Just shows what a spoilt little brat she is if her parents take that much notice of her. In most families it would be a case of, "If you want to become vegan dear that's entirely up to you, but don't expect me to give up my life for your ideals".

Yes, I noticed that 'fly by wire' technology feature and winced too. It remined me of when Saab sold cars based on the fact that they made fighter aircraft too, somehow forgetting that potential customers with airforces all over the world might wonder about buying planes from a carmaker....

As for Greta...... for just a kid she is certainly generating a few column inches on here !!

That's the problem when folks start thinking/acting differently of course, it upsets the Status Quo; If only The Beatles, Elton John etc etc had been made to conform more by their parents then the whole world would be a much better place ??!!

Same with ABBA, how have their 100M+ Records made the World better ?? (In keeping with the Swedish theme, of course !)

So, if the newly minted 16 year old eco-messiah (Greta) is as smart and savvy as she is being presented, why does she seem to
be just parroting the same old palaver? Can you claim the moral high ground when you are on a yacht built entirely from petrochemical derived
energy intensive non recyclable plastics and wrapping your waste in a plastic bag to toss overboard? What's that about?
Ships several heads out of service?!
How about publishing a list of "practical" solutions?
Nobel? Give me a break! That august organization lost their credibility when they started giving them to politicians!
Having spent the last 42 years totally embedded in the "renewable energy" industry, I know precisely what it takes to
support a comfortable, practical, minimally consumptive lifestyle without being attached to any type of external infrastructure.
I have been off grid for this entire time, and I do not seem to find myself in a cold dark cave eating raw food, as some
would insist is necessary if we want to stop the climate from swaying beyond what we, as humanity personally feel comfortable with.
Hear about some power shut offs in Northern Calif.?....I am currently in the center of the effected area.....No issues, as I am totally off grid
here as well!! It is not hard, but takes some work .......
Built a couple of nice electric cars a few years back, and charged them solely from solar and micro scale hydroelectric power. Worked well.
I do fully support the idea that everyone who wants 2 cars should have one as electric, since any trip less than 50 miles (Most) are best
served by an electric. Oh, and Lead Acid batteries work just fine for sub 150 mile range electrics, and are 98+ % recyclable into new batteries.
No nasty Li Batteries to worry about!
(No trees were harmed in the crafting of this post, however a number of innocent electrons were inconvenienced)

And Greta's 'Column inches' increase some more......... and to think she could just be worrying about the Kardashians or some such garbage !

and..... speaking about Cars Dashing I was very impressed withe the rate of accelleration of these EVs compare to ICE...
but then started to wonder just how long it will be until some Sports Personality wraps one round a lamp-post.

On one of the links above they were stating that an EVs life was about 8-9 years (!!) but then 'the batteries could be used for other things' ... (??)

Similarly according to Audi the 'Charge Time' in the 'near future' (for some of their vehicles with special batteries) could be down to 8 minutes.
Not sure these batteries will last 8 years if you do that all the time though..... maybe its just lies.... or Market Hype.... (same thing)
But if they just keep overstating the case like that it will, for sure. come back and bite them on the ass....

davew wrote:

That's the problem when folks start thinking/acting differently of course, it upsets the Status Quo; If only The Beatles, Elton John etc etc had been made to conform more by their parents then the whole world would be a much better place ??!!

Whether they were made to conform or not isn't the point, it's whether they insisted their parents followed their own non-conformism. How many on here are parents? Most I would think, and how many of us have heard the cries that eating meat is cruel to animals, we should all become vegetarians. That lasts for a few days but they soon get bored of cooking their own meals while the parents tuck into steak and chips.

What ? : She is drawing attention to CC and yet she gets heat (pun intended) because of her parents ?? Then she is even better at getting folks to take note than i thought !! https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2019/hoaxes-about-greta-thunberg-go-after-her-family-image-and-activism-but-why/
Nice try - and only another X million kids to similarly rubbish !

Guessing you don't like my Musicians analogy much either. But paradigm shifts in all kinds of fields really do occur by folks who think differently....
Wonder how Diesel was treated by his parents ? If only they had seriously discouraged him !

_"At the age of 14, Diesel wrote a letter to his parents saying that he wanted to become an engineer. After finishing his basic education at the top of his class in 1873, he enrolled at the newly founded Industrial School of Augsburg. Two years later, he received a merit scholarship from the Royal Bavarian Polytechnic of Munich, which he accepted against the wishes of his parents, who would rather have seen him start to work. "

_

Gee Dave,
If "column inches" is your metric to determine social worth, then, logically Trump must be a God, in your pantheon?
Problems, whether real, or created are so easy to point out........Practical, logical solutions, are, sadly thin on the ground.......

No Bolt, I did not say that.... you did: Column Inches on here - obviously !

What's that - 'solutions to problems are complicated'; Really ?

The real issue here is that you, Richard and Lpgc seem threatened by a kid with some unusual ideas; Go figure !

Being serious we have our own Trump-like idiots-in-charge here now (who can also only see as far as the next election); Boris of course and his sidekick Gove: A man who famously plans to save the Earth by banning Plastic Straws and Cotton Buds; These twerps are, unfortunately for them, totally transparent to kids !

For these kids (and I have spokem woth a few now) it's not about ideallology - it's actually about culpability - and the Politicians who somehow don't get that !

Davew
If you are going to quote me, get it right, and do not add words that were not there, please.

'solutions to problems are complicated'

Never said that. Re read the post.........
I have already alluded to the one true solution: We all must immediately go live in cold dark caves and
eat only raw food that we collect with our own hands (but not meat, that's cruel)
I never claimed to have a practical solution ;)
The ideas being espoused by the new face of climate change are in no way new different, or by any stretch of the imagination "unusual"
Same old stuff that Al Gore, the ultimate hypocrite blathered on about in his book (that he did not write.....)
I am sure Greta will have a great career in politics. She is being well groomed for it.

No Bolt, that's exactly where you got it wrong by mis-qouting me as though I was referring to column inches elsewhere
although I believe I paraphrased what you said reasonably accurately.....

And then you did it again (!), I was specifically talking about Greta's 'unusual' views and you decided to make it about all CC 'ideas'
and what the hell does Al Gore and his book suddenly have to do with it all ? ... And is he the only source ?

We could go on all night like this of course: Wait...... Diesel's ideas were "not by any stretch of the imagination 'unusual' " and etc....
Unfortunately he met his end in a watery grave, you know, the one you unpleasantly implied earlier that Greta should encounter !

Anyway, how about you go and talk to some of these kids yourself ? You may be surprised and learn something new/unexpected...
and it might be better than your 'amusing' (and uhelpful) troglodyte reference (but feel free to try it on them too) !

Oh no. these ideas really are not 'new'..... !

" Her ancestor on her father’s side is the Nobel Prize winner, Svante Arrhenius. Arrhenius was a Swedish physicist and chemist who received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1903. He is known for myriad scientific contributions but it was his discovery that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide increase the Earth’s surface temperature. That finding led to the conclusion that human-made carbon dioxide emissions cause global warming. "

Thanks guys, due to your criticisms I have just orderedmany copies of her book of speeches ( I mentioned above ) for all my friends/neighbours with kids as Xmas gifts ! Looks like Greta's words are not only fit for the present but also fit as presents !

I'm sure they'll find a use for them, Merry Christmas :)

I suspect Greta and her friends wouldn't like me, I drive 3 Land Rovers, I eat meat, and I've worked in aviation for over 40 years. But I'm thankful for people like her, as without them the people who don't give a d@mn about the earth would carry on raping it unabated.

Good point Morat: Then maybe i should buy some more for distribution at their schools/colleges so they can also gift them on to their parents too ?
In fact I will even offer to 'present' the facts at their schools (after all I have been a Scientist myself for several decades now)... Perhaps i will use this
as a backdrop: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2209126-david-attenborough-on-climate-change-we-cannot-be-radical-enough/

.... and add these links ! : https://www.newscientist.com/article-topic/climate-change/

Thanks Harv, Well Said ! That's the main point here of course: We don't have to agree with all CC activists but it reallyhelps to understand why they care enough to try to make a difference for 20-30 years hence..... ! They are simply considering their Children's Children....

Go for it! I'm sure you'll be welcomed in any school. Especially as you're a scientist.