The passenger side step supporting brackets rusted through and broke, three weeks ago. Fortunately, the brackets on the chassis are good so I asked my lad to call around and weld two replacement support arms to the side step frame.
He did this last weekend, and I had to then spray the frame with zinc primer and then black paint. As I deconstructed the side step I spent today fitting new small support pieces to the rubber rusted end sections, refitting the rubber step, and then cutting the new support arms to the correct size. I bought some 30mmx30mm square plastic plugs to fill in the open ends, so that they look neat.
These original side steps are really heavy, so I have decided to leave refitting the step until another day. I need to drill new mounting holes through the new arms, but I am no fitting Rivnuts, I am just going to bolt them straight through the mountings with 10mm stainless bolts [out of my old work stock box - which also contains about 10 boxes of S/S washers from 6mm to big penny washer type for 12 mm bolts].
As I have not got a pit or any such amazing workshop ancilliaries I will have to use the trusty trolley jack and just jack up into position.
But on another day, when I have more energy.
Took some time to watch the funeral of HRH Prince Phillip. A sad loss, it just reminds one that all of our days are numbered. RIP.