rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

There was talk of it happening twice a year but the winter one never happened. Last year it was an assortment of jobs that people either didn't feel confident to tackling on their own, things that needed a bit of diagnosing first or things that needed more than one person so everyone could get stuck in and lend a hand. My missus came along and bought a couple of disposable barbecues and stuff to put on them as she said she knows what blokes are like when they start playing with cars but Morat proved himself to be the barbecue king. This year it seems like headlinings are the thing. We did mine last year so have learnt from our mistakes so it looks like me and Dina will be doing the glueing, while Morat provides the food and (hopefully) someone else will be pulling trims off to get the shells out ready for the new material to be stuck on.

That and a hotel down the road and a few beers in the evening should provide for an entertaining way of spending a weekend. The only criteria is that you need a thick skin because if you happen to say or do the wrong thing it will be remembered and you'll have the piss taken out of for weeks afterwards.

Hi all, when is this again ?

8-9th July at Marty's workshop near Marlborough in Wiltshire.

Thanks yet again mate, do we have to book or put names down ? I am not sure if I bought the tickets to Bryan Adams for that weekend lol now I think about it !...................dates in my head .......I have her in doors for bookings lol

No need to book, just let someone know you intend turning up. But if it clashes with Bryan Adams then we wouldn't expect to see you. Saw him last year at an open air gig in Peterborough and definitely worth going.

Went to Bournemouth in May, Scarborough in July and then Brighton, first since 18 till i die tour ! took the P38 to Scarborough camping great times ! she blocked the tent from the winds !

dazer2000 wrote:

Thanks yet again mate, do we have to book or put names down ? I am not sure if I bought the tickets to Bryan Adams for that weekend lol now I think about it !...................dates in my head .......I have her in doors for bookings lol

There is a list, please copy the list below and add your details to it:

Participants requiring headlinings - 8/9 July
1) Marty - 2 x Original, 1 x Black (all with Sunroof)
2) Smiler - 1 x Original (with Sunroof)
3) Morat - 1 x Original Lightstone (with Sunroof)
4) Orangebean- 1x Original Lightstone (with sunroof)

This date is creeping up fast now. Do we need a deadline date to get the orders in with the suppliers?

Participants requiring headlinings - 8/9 July
1) Marty - 2 x Original, 1 x Black (all with Sunroof)
2) Smiler - 1 x Original (with Sunroof)
3) Morat - 1 x Original Lightstone (with Sunroof)
4) Orangebean- 1x Original Lightstone (with sunroof)
5) Sloth - 1x original lightstone

Did you get samples in the end OB?

I'm heading off at the end of this week for a fortnight on holiday.

My plan was to get in touch with definite numbers to suppliers once I have returned, and then once a price is agreed on, and everyone is happy, placing the order, so that it will be delivered before the 8th/9th July to my place, and I can then ferry it up to the workshop.

So as far as I'm concerned - the 14th June is the cutoff date for people wanting headlining material/adhesive kits.

As far as the original colour goes - I haven't had any definite word from anyone who wants OEM colour as possible as to the exact colour they want for this. The 2 original ones that I'm getting, I'd be happy with either the 'Oatmeal', or 'Oyster Grey' (from Martrim) or the 'Suede Beige' or 'Cashmere' from the eBay supplier, as they are all close enough for me.

The original Land Rover colour was called 'Mist' or I've seen it in some places as 'Mist Grey'. Hence why I've mentioned slightly different shades above as examples.

I first posted about colours a couple of months ago now, and still nothing definite - so if I don't have a definite from someone (preferrably Orangebean or Morat - as they've mentioned they want as close as possible to original) by the 14th June, then I will pick a colour that I think looks 'close enough' for my preference for my 2 restoration project P38's (probably Oatmeal from Martrim, or Cashmere from eBay supplier, depending on which is best cost overall - again unless people give me a consensus as to which is the preferred supplier).

Other details:

• Dates are 8th/9th July - at my workshop just outside of Marlborough
  • Morat, if you're happy to bring the BBQ, then that sounds good. A Saturday evening group BBQ is a good idea, if everyone is up for that, rather than lunch time, but all gather round on a fabulous RR split tailgate and have a BBQ after a day of getting high on aerosol glue...
  • If we can get a count as to who is coming, then it will be useful to have a rough idea!
  • If we can also have a list of any other jobs that people are wanting to get done whilst there, aside from headlinings - whether it be general service work, or anything else mechanical

Also, parts wise - if anyone is after any of the reconditioned parts I usually offer on my website, then let me know... namely, door latches, window switchpacks, HEVAC controllers (or screen repair connectors), Black ABS ECU's, EAS compressors etc... then providing I have the required parts in stock, then I will give a 10% discount on normal prices, and where possible/required, will get parts fitted whilst at Summer Camp.

For anyone on the forum who won't be at summer camp, due to distance, other commitments etc, and is after parts I work on, then drop me a message with what you are after, and when I have everything and it's available in my webshop, I'll send you a 10% discount code to use on checkout.

Marty

Is there anyone going (apart from me) who would benefit from being shown some basic things like.. how to change all the fluids (especially things like diffs and autobox) bleed the brakes, change air springs? I know its in RAVE but it can be a bit daunting if you're not a mechanic until you've seen it.

Is this an invitation to take your car to bits? Diffs and autobox (and transfer case) are simple enough, take drain plug out, allow oil to go all over the floor, put drain plug back, refill. On yours with no dipstick, filling the autobox isn't as straightforward as the earlier ones.

I think I'm going to be tied up all the time sticking new headlining material to the shells but I'm sure someone will be able to show you.

I'm happy to go over basic servicing with people...

Also happy with to do a bit of an electrics 101 for people who are interested - basics like multimeter reading.

Checking continuity of circuits etc, since most of the P38 inputs work on low current ground signals, which aren't testable with a power light, test bulb etc. Voltage testing, removing pins from connectors for testing etc.

Morat needed a front seat repairing a while ago. Is that still on my list? Same goes for Marty's rust patch repair on the roof. That one's a bit weather dependent as it's hard to get a good finish if too damp.
Apart from my headlining, I'd like to do some mid and high calibrations on my LPG. Need someone to read/ tweak the maps 'cos I struggle to drive the car and drive the laptop at the same time. Not sure if there are any roads suitable for high power runs very close to the workshop though.
I do have a transfer box rebuild on my to-do list, but I think that'll take too much time in the workshop bay.
As far as the headlining goes, the Oatmeal from Martrim looks close enough to the original for me. Given that the original has faded with age, the Oatmeal goes well with the pillar trims so that's my point of reference.
Marty's parts- well I do need a window switchpack (RHD Sunroof). Don't need to fit it as I've taken the one off the blue car for now. Can bring the failing one up for exchange. I'm also in the market for loadspace trims (the cloth covered panels), lightstone in really good condition.
Anyone else going for the same hotel as last year?

Last time I went to see Marty, I was impressed with the Jurys Inn. It's comfy and good value, but a bit further away. Just don't park in the multi-story opposite or it will cost you £70 to get out again on Sunday :/ We'd also be able to convoy through Swindon which gives me a childish grin.

https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/swindon

Gilbert - I'd be happy to donate my RR as a guinea pig for fluids! I was thinking it could be an idea to get a bulk load of oils and get everyone a fresh set. No point if you're already in date of course. I'd also donate it for electrical lessons :) That airbag fault isn't going to dissapear on its own :(

As for headlinings. Do we make a production line? Remove, Strip, Glue, Refit - how many needed for each? (I assume we can use the Remove gang to refit once there's a finished set). I'm happy to volunteer for remove/refit if someone shows me how to do the first one. Or stripping down the bad ones if that means I'm free earlier at the end to start cooking.

Orangebean - if you could have a look at the seat I'd be very grateful. It's not exactly the end of the world to have a burn mark but its just another niggle. If it's going to take you hours that could be better spent on other projects then I understand if you prioritise elsewhere. It could be a good teaching exercise though.

I'm really looking forward to this :) All we need now is a ROAD TRIP sometime. That would be a challenge!

Morat wrote:

Last time I went to see Marty, I was impressed with the Jurys Inn. It's comfy and good value, but a bit further away. Just don't park in the multi-story opposite or it will cost you £70 to get out again on Sunday :/ We'd also be able to convoy through Swindon which gives me a childish grin.
https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/swindon

Only currently £7.00 cheaper than Alex House :)
Given that onsite parking at Alex is free and you have to mess around driving through Swindon (Convoy? I managed to lose / get lost by everyone else just driving through the lanes last time!) I'll go for the Alex

OTOH, it does sell beer you'd actually want to drink :)

I'm not sure if it's also worth more a look, but there is also a Premier Inn at North Swindon - which is fairly close to where I'm based.

I've never stayed there, but there is also a Harvester fairly nearby, and a couple of decent pubs around me, which means I'd be able to join in a couple of beverages... And could then convoy down the A419 the next morning back to the workshop!

Headlinings... I envisaged a production line style of work aswell. I am going to attempt to get up to the workshop before that weekend and strip the headlinings out of my 2 other P38s - they are both sunroof versions too. I also have a 3rd spare headlining card up there.

So my thought was, if there are 3 to start on, then a couple of people can start stripping those, cleaning them off etc and then going on to re-trimming those.
Whilst that's happening a couple of other people can be starting to remove headlining cards from other vehicles, ready for stripping, and then re-trimming.
With any luck, by the time the rest of the headlining cards are removed from the vehicles, there should hopefully be the first one re-trimmed and finished and the people who were doing the removals can then start on refitting the finished ones.
The sunroof covers can be removed without dropping the sunroof tray, so those who are removing/replacing headlinings can also work on getting those out and back in again if waiting on a re-trimmed one to be finished.

Either that or we can all get stuck in and get all the bits out, and strip the old cloth off, and do all of that first - and then have a few people just working on retrimming the cards, and then once there are a stack of finished ones, we all jump back on refitting them all.

I've had headlinings out before, so I'm happy to work with one or 2 on the physical removing/replacing of the headlinings to the vehicles.

Fluids - I did a service on mine awhile ago, so it's all sorted at the moment, but happy to go through and help look at yours Morat, if the Duchess is up for being the guinea pig for teaching...

I am running out of storage capacity (or might have actually run out!) for left over oil etc - so going to need to sort something out for that. I need to see about disposing of used oil at the tip in Swindon - and hope they don't get tetchy if I turn up with a 20L container to empty out!

I had a look for alternative hotels but not knowing the area makes it difficult, the Alex was OK but as Morat says, the beer is crap and it's a bit conference centre-ish. Premier Inns are usually pretty good (so Lenny Henry keeps telling us), so that would seem to be a viable option.

If a couple of people can strip headlining shells out and clean them off (removing the old cloth is easy, it damn near falls off), Dina and me can glue the new material on. We did mine with just the two of us but 3 people is the ideal number so another body to help with holding the material away from the shell. Once the material is on then either another couple of people can refit or the removal crew can take on that role.

Headlining - whatever's closest. In fact, would it be suitable for recovering the pillar trims? Being an earlier generation mine are the furry style type that have gone 'orrible'.

If we do go for a production run of headlinings (also known as a 'Pulse Line') we will need to make sure we rotate the 'staff' so that no one spends all day constantly exposed to the fumes.

I am willing to pass on what I have picked up so far and having spent the past 20+ years fixing aircraft am capable of helping wherever. I have recently replaced the air-springs on mine so if you want me to show you on yours Morat but to be honest they are very easy. I did my second one in the dark!

I have a 20ltr waste oil drum that I will endeavor to empty and bring along just incase.

As for other jobs, I have the following that I could do with looking at if the chance arises:

Front passenger door lock motor inop (early type)
Sunroof will not set (Marty had a quick look at this and suggested it could be a fault within the motor itself)
Replace transmission oil temp sensor (requires bumper removal)

If you don't mind Marty, I'd also like to plug the vehicle in to run a health check.
The HEVAC book symbol is illuminated. I know I have a stuck blend motor (drivers side) but would also like to know if there is anything else sick before I get stuck in or pay to have the air-con recharged.

Cheers,

Smiler.

My pillar trims were pretty horrible too, dirty and with chunks of the furry coating missing. That stuff comes off fairly easily with a plastic scraper and the remains can be cleaned off with meths, white spirit or thinners. That leaves a smooth, beige plastic which initially I didn't like as, being shiny, I got reflections of other cars headlights off it. I must have got used to it though as I don't notice it now. The problem with using the headlining material on the pillar trims is that it is foam backed so while it would be OK on the A and D post trims, would be very difficult to get a clean edge on the B and C trims where there is the cutout for the sliding seat belt mount. You could make it look neater by wrapping it round to the inside but I suspect it would then jam up the sliding part. What is needed is either a matching material without the foam backing or some means of re-applying a furry coating much like the original.